VH-ARD photographed by Dr Alan Wood in its way to Rome to pick up migrants. This might have been the flight from which it did not return, instead diverting to Israel where it became a makeshift bomber.
Cloncurry was a fuel stop for aircraft travelling between Darwin, the normal point of entry for flights arriving in Australia from Asia and Europe, and the populous south-east of the country. It is not known if this photo shows G-AECB heading south or north. The one and only Croydon forced-landed on a reef in the Timor Sea on its return flight to the UK and was abandoned.
VH-UTJ suffered no less than four incidents that resulted in the port undercarriage collapsing It had another where the port gear was bent and two ground fires, the last of which was on August 9, 1955 at Tennant Creek from which it did not recover. It is believed the photo shows the October 1945 Cloncurry accident. The tail is marked with a blue and white fin flash like that on military aircraft in the Pacific Theatre in WW2.
A52-310 was ordered as a Mk.40 fighter bomber (A52-210) but delivered into storage as a PR41 in 1947. In 1951 was posted to 87 Squadron, Canberra, for survey work. Withdrawn from use in 1953 and sold for scrap in 1958. From the Dannecker Collection
Flown to Australia as D-AGEY, VH-UYA was popular with passengers and pilots. But continuing problems with its diesel engines meant no sales and it was returned to Germany by ship. Photo from the Dannecker Collection.
PK-ADB refuelling at Cloncurry, a regular stop on KNILM's Batavia (Jakarta) to Sydney service. When World War II spread to Asia in December 1941, -ADB escaped to Australia in March 1942 and was taken into Allied military service. Destroyed in an air raid at Port Moresby on August 17, 1942. Photo from the Dannecker Collection
A97-205 seen here before the installation of underwing tanks outboard of the engines. It had been delivered via the Pacific just before Christmas 1958 in company with three others. Photo from Ron Pioch.
Flown to Australia as G-AGXA, VH-BDT registered in June 1947. It flew Sydney to Singapore with 89 guard dogs on board and returned to home with a load of cargo. It never flew again and was withdrawn from use at Sydney airport in December 1947. It was later scrapped. The photo was taken on its way to Singapore. Name of photographer is not known.
This aircraft was the first Tecnam imported into Australia. When I photographed it here at Cloncurry during the Federation Airshows in the Outback, it was the importer's demonstrator (that's Bruce wiping off the wing). It had been registered on 11 August 2000 and transferred to the RAAus register as 24-3979 on 2 October 2003. Just to confuse matters, since then there have been two more Tecnams registered VH-VET!
On static display during the Federation Airshows in the Outback in front of the historic Qantas hangar. Allocated the US registration N102EP but re-registered new in Australia as VH-FDP(4) 'John Flynn' for the RFDS on 6 November 1985. A few months after this photo was taken, on 19 November 2001, it was replaced by a new Pilatus PC-12 registered VH-FDP(5). Returned to USA as N277SW. Cloncurry was the first flying doctor base and Q.A.N.T.A.S. operated the first service on contract in 1928.