VH-UHT seen here at Archerfield ahead of the 1936 air race to Adelaide - Parafield with its race number, 22. It had been G-AUHT registered in 1928 and reregistered in 1932. Crashed at Kadina, South Australia, on May 15, 1937. Photo from: State Library of Queensland
Aircraft of 218 Sqn was reportedly hit by German flak and landed on the beach at Vlissingen (Flushing). The crew is given as Captain J.F. Chisholm and Sergeant Williams. Numerous planes of the warring nations in Flanders ended up in Zeeland province and were interned, this DH.9 becoming DEH-446 in Dutch service. It was returned in 1920, minus the engine. The grand building is the Grand Hotel des Bains, destroyed during the liberation of Vlissingen in November 1944. Photo by: Charles Dert / Nederlands Instituut voor Militaire Historie
A1-25 is towed ashore after ditching in Sydney Harbour, presumably due to engine failure. It was based at nearby RAAF Richmond. The water-logged aircraft was "converted to components" soon after. A1-25 had been part of the Imperial Gift, a collection of over 100 aircraft from the RAF to help form the RAAF. Canada, India, New Zealand and South Africa also received Imperial Gifts. Photo from: Hood Collection/State Library of New South Wales
KLM's first own aircraft were Fokkers but four DH.9Bs were added in 1921. These converted bombers could carry two passengers. Researcher Herman Dekker notes that construction number H9187 is unconfirmed. The aircraft might be ex G-EAUQ (H9125) instead of G-EAUO (H9187). Photo from: Amsterdam City Archives
This aircraft was discovered, along with another in derelict condition in India in the late 1990s. Despite having been built in huge numbers, very few survive. It has been superbly restored and is now airworthy, an incredible feat.
This historic aircraft was the first single-engine aircraft to fly from England to Australia, in 1920. The journey took an incredible 206 days, including two forced landings in the Middle East and a crash at Moulmein, Burma. The letters 'PD' are Parer & McIntosh's sponsor, Peter Dawson whiskey distillers. Built for the RAF as F1278 in 1918, the aircraft was purchased by the AWM for 250 pounds in 1922. Restored 1975-1990.
This light bomber was used at the end of WWI but with poor results due to it being underpowered and by 1920 they had been withdrawn from RAF service. Many were then gifted to Commonwealth countries. The nose carries the legend 'Presented by His Highness the Nizam of Hyderabad. Hyderabad No12a.' During WWI a whole Squadron, No 152, had been gifted to the RAF by the Nizam.
Some of the 400-odd DH-9's built by the National Aircraft Factory No.2 at Heaton Chapel, Stockport in 1918/19. D1389 is centre with painted fin. F357, a NAF No.2-built DH-10 twin engined bomber is upper centre right. From Manchester Airport Archive.
Prior to the move of the Musee de l'Air to Le Bourget many of the aircraft were stored and exhibited at Chalais Meudon. This marvellous 1918 built aircraft is seen on display there. It is in totally original condition.