Ex RAAF, became VH-UWB in 1958. Sold in the UK as G-ARUK in 1962. Crashed near Kallista, Victoria, on April 12 that year while on a test flight ahead of an attempt on an Australia-UK record flight. Photo from: Civil Aviation Historical Society, Melbourne, Australia
A line-up at Bristol's Weston factory of 11 of the 50 Sycamores delivered to the German Navy during 1957/59. SC+201 was later re-serialled 7820 in the current series. Obtained from Bristols 50 years ago.
VH-WWC was operated in Papua New Guinea on behalf of Australasian Petroleum for oil exploration. In 1961 it was sold to Trans Australia Airlines for use on airline services . -WWC struck a submerged object and sank at Daru on April 26, 1962. The seaplane base at Port Moresby operated from 1939 to 1966. In 1967 it became a patrol boat base, for the Australian navy and today the Papua New Guinea Defence Force. Photo from Trans Australia Airlines.
John Laming photo of A20-640 during service with the No.1 Basic Flying Training School at Uranquinty. The based closed in 1959 and -640 was sold the same year to R. H. Grant Trading Company, which was a scrap metal dealer.
The Fu-24 was designed by John Thorp whose work included the Piper PA28 Cherokee and the Thorp T-18. The prototype was built in the US to a New Zealand specification. Assembly was initially undertaken in New Zealand using US-supplied kits. From 1961 aircraft were entirely built in NZ.
Photo by TAA engineer Ron Pioch. It shows VH-DRA and VH-DRC (c/n 5007) on a remote cattle station to the north of Cloncurry after one flew in with an engineer to fix a problem with the other only to need repairs itself. -DRA was damaged at Charleville on April 19, 1965. It was rebuilt at Brisbane and sold to New Hebrides Airways as VP-PAG. -DRC became VH-FDS in 1963. It is now with the Queensland Air Museum.