This DC-6, seen here in National's original 'Route of the Buccaneers' livery, was delivered in 1947. It was the first of eight DC-6s flown by the airline, which were then all known as Buccaneer 400s. This aircraft crashed after take off from Newark, New Jersey on February 11, 1952. National Airlines publicity photo from: Civil Aviation Historical Society, Melbourne, Australia
N147B's registration was finally cancelled in 2014. It had been converted to a 47D-1 with an open frame tail boom. Bell Helicopter photo. Photo from: Civil Aviation Historical Society, Melbourne, Australia
Charleville was used by the US military in World War II. It had three runways and a perimeter taxiway. The runway running across the photo is today's main runway 12/30. Running from the top of the photo to the right is today's runway 18/36 but it no longer crosses 12/30. The third runway, the longest during the war, seen in top left corner has been closed and part of it now is outside the airport's boundaries. This 1947 photo shows Qantas DC-3 VH-AIJ among a gathering of light aircraft for an undisclosed aviation event. None of the buildings in the photo survive.
Operated by Qantas in Papua New Guinea on behalf of Australian Petroleum Co. Sold to Amphibious Airways in New Zealand as ZK-AVM. Delivered by ship after undercarriage collapsed at Bankstown airport, Sydney, on November 2, 1950.
Served Air France 1948 until 1960. Modified later to L-749A and fitted out as 65-seater for European services. To SGAC in SAR configuration with call sign F-SSFP. Scrapped in 1973. From Air France 60 years ago.
"Clipper Westward Ho" was built as C-54G 45-0590 for the USAAF. Converted to DC-4 standard by Douglas in early 1947 and leased to Pan Am on 28 February 1947. Returned to the USAF in 1953 and operated until retirement and storage at Davis Monthan AFB. Seen over San Francisco in this Pan Am publicity photo.
Over Ottawa. This was the second Canadair C-4 and retains the unpressurised fuselage and circular windows of its Douglas DC-4/C-54 ancestor. It fitted with four Merlins. Served TCA from 11 November 1946 until transfer to the Royal Canadian Air Force as 17518 on 20 April 1949. Obtained from Canadair Ltd over 60 years ago.
"Clipper Ocean Rover" was built for the USAAF as C-54G 45-0537, delivered in July 1945. Converted in late 1946 by Douglas to DC-4 standard. Leased by Pan Am on 11 April 1947 until return to the USAF in November 1953. Obtained from Pan Am 60 years ago.