The apron in front of the domestic airline hangars was an exceptional place for aircraft photography. There were no fences, the taxiway serving the main east-west runway passed close and there was shelter from sun and rain. When the north-south runway was fully extended in 1972, passing traffic was only on days when the winds demanded it. Soon after the apron became a restricted area.
The Fleet Canuck was a popular trainer in Canada. It started out as the homebuilt Noury N-75, designed by Bob Noury. Side by side seating was rare for a trainer in the 1940s and Mr. Noury had built 3 aircraft before selling the design to Fleet Aircraft in 1945. Some slight redesign to optimize the aircraft for training, saw the aircraft renamed the Fleet 80 Canuck. Fleet went on to build 225 Canucks over the next thirteen years.
VH-TVQ seen here with the revised titles worn at the end of its service with TAA. The letters TAA were enlarged and the motto "The Nation's Jetline" dropped. A new blue and ochre livery introduced in 1969 was never applied to Viscounts.
VH-EOI was rebuilt by Marshall Airways from VH-WRH, which had been withdrawn from use in 1965. It was registered in 1968 and used for joy flights from Bankstown, usually with Ron Gower at the controls. Gower had been a pilot since the 1930s.