Pictured on lease to Aermediterranea (1981 - 85), this DC-9 was delivered to ATI Aero Trasporti Italiani September 28, 1973. After lease return, the aircraft was eventually transferred to Alitalia in November 1991. Sold to Northwest airlines in November 1996, it became N623NW and flew on until retired January 11, 2005. It was flown to Marana, AZ, stored at Marana Pinal Airpark and later sold to Evergreen Aircraft Sales & Leasing.
The 307th FS of the USAAF's 15th Air Force still flew Spitfires at the time of the Salerno landings in Italy in September 1943. JK707 was shot down by a Do 217 on the 9th and Maj Virgil Fields crash landed on the invasion beach. Below the windscreen is the name of another pilot, Lt Carroll Prybylo, with three swastikas for kills. Photo from: Naval History and Heritage Command
For its F-84s and F-86s, the AMI simply adopted USAF 1950s-style serials, both on record and on the aircraft. Examples here are the Fiat-built F-86 and F-84F MM53-6892 behind it. The black cat with green mice logo of 51° Stormo originates from a 1939 rivalry between bomber and fighter pilots based at Roma-Ciampino.
Savoia, Verduzio (designers) and Ansaldo (company) set out to build a fighter but the resulting SVA was deemed unsuitable for that role. It could however fly very far, high and fast and so became an excellent reconnaissance plane. This is one of the aircraft of the propaganda Flight over Vienna in 1918. The Lion of St. Mark was the insigna of the 87a squadriglia 'Serenissima' and the painting depicts general Gabriele d'Annunzio, the organiser of the famous flight.
License-built by the Ungarische Flugzeugwerke in Budapest and delivered to the Austro-Hungarian navy. Flown across the Adriatic Sea in 1918 by two defecting servicemen and, after long storage and restoration, arrived here in 1988 to be displayed.
The oldest existing Spad in the world faces a younger example in Hangar Troster. This one was Fulco Ruffo di Calabria's aircraft, who scored 20 victories in WW1. There is an imprint on the airframe showing it was manufactured in September 1916.
One of two Spad VIIs in Hangar Troster, this plane was flown by ace Ernesto Cabruna and wears visible patches that cover bullet holes from combat. It was recovered in a delapidated state and beautifully restored, showing the markings of the 77a Squadriglia. The serial is not visibly worn.
The Hanriot-Dupont 1 was much hailed for its speed and agility. This is one of more than 800 built under license by Nieuport-Macchi at Varese and was flown by the ace Flavio Baracchini. The municipality of Florence donated the aircraft to the AMI. Serial not seen on the outside.