No explanation as to what happened here but the proximity to the hangars suggests VH-UNF has been blown over in a storm. It was repaired and in September 1934 sold to Ansett Airways. -UNF became one of the aircraft lost in a hangar fire at Essendon airport on February 28, 1939. Photo from: National Library of Australia
Became VH-UGJ in 1929. The Australian Aero Club (NSW) became the Aero Club of NSW and then the Royal Aero Club of NSW. VH-UGJ remained with the club until it was written off in a landing accident on October 8, 1940 by which time it had been fitted with a Gipsy engine in place of the Cirrus. Photo from: National Library of Australia
62-6000 brought Lyndon Johnson to Australia on the first visit to the country of a serving US president. The Pan Am 707 in the background and a TWA 707 carried support personnel and American media. Photo by Kevin Kerle.
Photo believed to date from about 1929 when G-AUAE was reregistered VH-UAE. At the time it was operated by the Australian Aero Club. The timber building at the right is the original aero club and was replaced by a more substantial building on a different site in 1930. The old club building was then removed and the area became apron. The hangar is Government Hangar No.1, which stood out as it had the airport name, Mascot, painted in the roof. VH-UAE remains registered in 2019. Photo from: Hood Collection/State Library of New South Wales
The prototype Avro Baby. Was G-EACQ for pioneer aviator Bert Hinkler who attempted to fly it to Australia, only to be thwarted when he was refused permission to overfly Iraq. Returned to the UK where it competed in the 1920 Hendon Aerial Derby before being shipped to Australia. Initially registered to local Avro agent Australian Aircraft and Engineering. -UCQ's certificate of registration expired in October 1931 by which time it was VH-UCQ. Stored until 1970 when it was donated to the Queensland Museum. Now on display as G-EACQ. Photo from: State Library of Queensland