Delivered in October 1943 and served at Point Cook, Victoria, and Mallala, South Australia. Disposed off in 1947 for scrap. Undated RAAF photo. The Oxford behind, R6183, crashed in February 1945. It too served at Point Cook and Mallala.
Ex G-AJLR, acquired by Singapore Airlines from the RAF Museum in 1986 to be displayed as VR-SCD of Malayan Airways. Malayan Airways was the ancestor of both Singapore Airlines and Malaysian Airlines System. This aircraft returned to The original VR-SCD (c/n 4324) was sold to the UK in Aug 1952 and on to Israel a year later, fate unknown.
Like all 391 Oxfords received by the RAAF, V3354 was operated with its RAF serial. It became the subject of an official photo air-to-air photo shoot soon after arrival. By 1942, it and all other RAAF aircraft in the Pacific had the red centres of their roundels painted out to avoid confusion with Japanese aircraft. V3354 was destroyed by fire after landing at Point Cook on June 12, 1944. Photo from: National Library of Australia
This Oxford was built in 1940 and after an initial storage period had a fairly undistinguished wartime service. In May 1946 it was sold to Boulton Paul, registered as G-AHTW and flew sporadically as general communications aircraft. By the 1970s the plane had become unairworthy, due to glue deterioration in its wooden construction, and it is now on display in AirSpace at IWM Duxford.
Rather similar to the Avro Anson, the Oxford was more modern, and a dedicated multi-engine and crew trainer. Thousands of Oxfords were built for the Commonwealth air training schools during WWII. This one was built by the Standard Motors company in the spring of 1943. It was G-AITB from 1946 until retired at Perth - Scone (EGPT) by Airwork Services Training in 1961.
Oxford II operated as a communications aircraft by RAF Marham Station Flight. It wears the large Bomber Command style of serial presentation as a code. This was one of the last Oxfords in active RAF service.
This Consul six-seat light airliner was converted from wartime RAF Oxford trainer RR356. Seen at its Blackpool base, it was owned by Lancashire Aircraft Corporation and served them on scheduled and charter flights from 09.46 until scrapping at Stansted in 03.56.
Oxford II of 1 Camouflage Unit, tasked with flying over aircraft and other factories to check on their camouflage effectiveness. Miles M-9 Master 1 of No. 6 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit in the background; also a No.1 Parachute Training School Whitley near Hangar No.7. Image obtained over 40 years ago.