Delivered to US Navy as R5D-1 Bu50841 in August 1944. Converted to DC-4 standard by Douglas in September 1946. Served Pennsylvania Central Airlines until April 1948 when name changed to Capital Airlines. Named "Capitaliner Youngstown". Seen with downtown Washington in background. Capital merged into United on 1 June 1961 and this DC-4 was sold in August that year. Obtained from Capital 60 years ago.
VH-EDA in its initial livery with two red stripes on the tail. Later updated to a single stripe with the flag removed and the Qantas logo added. Later still received Qantas' 747 era red tail and ochre cheat line.
The dull grey skies over Fairbanks this morning were due to the smoke of the Parks Highway Fire, which was raging 65 km (40 miles) away to the west. But that certainly didn't make this very rare Carvair sound any less impressive...
On 17 January 2007 this DC-4 suffered a fire in the #2 engine which could not be contained and spread to the wing. The crew made a wheels-up landing in the tundra 7 km west of Nenana, AK. The wreck was salvaged in Feb/Mar-2007 and trucked to Nenana Airport for storage. It was still there 10 years later.
Delivered to USAAF as C-54A 42-72298. Converted to DC-4 standard by Douglas in 1946. Operated by Alitalia as "Citta di Roma" from March 1950 until sale to REAL as PP-XEF in December 1953. From Alitalia 60 years ago.
TAA bought VH-TAA as a new production DC-4. Delivered in 1946. Switched to cargo operations in 1960 (it was built with C-54-style double doors). Crashed on approach to Brisbane airport on May 24, 1961. Captain had a cardiac arrest and collapsed over the throttles as he tried to vacate his seat. The throttles closed and the copilot could not get to them. -TAA descended into a mangrove swamp and the cockpit was destroyed when it collided with a tree. Neither pilot survived.