Delivered to US Navy as R5D-1 Bu50841 in August 1944. Converted to DC-4 standard by Douglas in September 1946. Served Pennsylvania Central Airlines until April 1948 when name changed to Capital Airlines. Named "Capitaliner Youngstown". Seen with downtown Washington in background. Capital merged into United on 1 June 1961 and this DC-4 was sold in August that year. Obtained from Capital 60 years ago.
Delivered to USAAF as C-54A 42-72298. Converted to DC-4 standard by Douglas in 1946. Operated by Alitalia as "Citta di Roma" from March 1950 until sale to REAL as PP-XEF in December 1953. From Alitalia 60 years ago.
Built at Chicago in 08.44 to USAAF order as C-54A 42-72261 but delivered direct to US Navy as R5D-1 BuAer 50844. Sold to Douglas 06.46 who converted it to DC-4 No. 37 for Pan Am as N88934 delivered 06.47. Transferred to Panagra 1949. Sold to Spanish AF T4-10 in 1962. Preserved at Cuatro Vientos from 1979.
A nice line-up of three Skymasters - two of Alitalia, and the farthest believed Avianca. I-DALT (c/n 10400), second in line, was an ex USAAF C-54A converted to DC-4 standard by Douglas and acquired by AZ in March 1950 for operation on their routes to Buenos Aires and Caracas. Sold in 1954. From AZ 60 years ago.
Delivered to USAAF in 08.44 as C-54A 42-72276. Bought by Douglas in 1946 and brought up to DC-4 standard. Served Pan Am as N88926 January 1947 to purchase by Alitalia in March 1950. Sold in 1954. Obtained from Alitalia over 50 years ago.
Built for USAAF as C-54A 42-72279. Douglas bought it in June 1946 and converted her to DC-4 standard. Delivered to PAA 24 May 1947 and named "Clipper Union". Taken on a photo sortie over Biscayne Bay, Miami, piloted by Captain J.L. Bailey. Sold to Canadian Pacific as CF-CUL in November 1951. From Pan Am 60 years ago.
Built for the U.S. Navy as R5D-1 BuAer 39166 in June 1944. Bought by Douglas in June 1946 and converted to DC-4 standard. To Pan Am as N88931 on 21 February 1947. To Cubana as CU-T397 "Estrella de Oriente" on 5 December 1949. Crashed into sea on take-off from Bermuda on 6 December 1952. From Cubana 60 years ago.
Delivered to USAAF in August 1944 as C-54A 42-72263. Converted to DC-4 standard by Douglas in June 1946 serving Panagra and Pan Am as N88925. To Cubana in April 1948 as CU-P188 and later CU-T188, named "Estrella de Cuba". Lost in a collision with a US Navy Beech SNB over Key West Florida on 25 April 1951. From Cubana 60 years ago.