A20-202 was not finally struck off charge until 1957 although its flying days appear to have ended with a taxiing accident at Amberley, Queensland, in August 1954. It wore a silver-doped finish postwar. Photo from: National Library of Australia
Widely distributed wartime photo of T3316. It was with 272 Sqn based at Idku (Edku) on the Mediterranean coast of Egypt. That the photo found its way to Australia suggests the crew may have included an Australian but that detail is not recorded. Photo from: National Library of Australia
The first D model B-339 fighters for the KNIL (Royal Netherland East Indies Army) seen during a test flight. The second aircraft is B-3120. The name Buffalo was only used by the British. Photo from: Fer Vleugels / Pabo collection
An RAAF photograph showing A33-1 from the No.1 Air Observer School on a local flight from its base at Cootamundra. This was an impressed aircraft that returned to its former civil guise VH-UUO in 1942. It crashed in 1952. The Rapide seen in recent years painted as A33-1 is not this aircraft.
The Roc was a two-seat fleet fighter fitted with four-gun power driven turret. 136 production aircraft were built by Boulton Paul and delivered from 1939. Unsuccessful in role and relegated to shore-based training and target-towing duties until retirement in August 1943. Obtained from Manchester Airport 50 years ago.
Built for Pan Am as NC25641 in May 1940, but quickly passed on to their affiliate Compania Mexicana de Aviacion S.A. This image taken in 1941 in front a a vintage hangar with radio station and/or control tower above. Obtained from CMA over 50 years ago.
Delivered to TCA in January 1941. Converted to Model 18-08A in January 1942. Sold to Imperial Oil on 1 October 1949. Later to N655KC. Image in flight over the Greater Halifax area with RCN Shearwater visible below the aircraft. Obtained from TCA 60 years ago.
A Blenheim Mk.V, initially known as the Bisley, fitted with an under-nose gun position. Note that, unlike the Mk.IV, the Mk.V cross section in front of the cockpit is symmetrical from just behind the nose to the windshield. The type was used by Bomber and Coastal Commands (who operated this example). It was built by Avro and Rootes in addition to Bristols, from whom photo was obtained.