This Lightning served in the Aleutians from May 1944. Unable to find back his base on Attu, pilot Lt Arthur Kidder made a skilful belly landing on Buldir Island on 2 February 1945. Although subsequently used as a practice target, the aircraft was salvaged in 1994 and restored, to be put on display in the Hill Aerospace Museum.
This P-38 never saw combat, rather was allocated to be an experimental airframe at Wright Field, OH and then at the end of WWII it was placed into storage. It is now on display with this unrestored finish at the super NASM Udvar-Hazy center.
The F-5G was the reconnaissance variant conversion of the P-38L with a different camera configuration than the F-5F. It was the lightest and fastest of all the P-38 variants, having no armour or armament. After WWII this P-38 flew for numerous aerial survey companies until acquired by the Yanks Air Museum in 1990 and restored to the authentic photo-recon configuration.