Polaris Charter Company was founded by Max Ward in 1946 with a De Havilland Fox Moth. In 1952 the airline was formed into Wardair and began operations with new De Havilland Canada aircraft in June 1953. While the original Fox Moth crashed in 1949, Mr Ward bought this aircraft in 1983 and restored it in the original colors if his earlier Fox Moth CF-DJC. On May 15, 1989 CF-DJB was flown to Ottawa to be placed into the Canada Aiviation and Space Museum.
Built in 1933 for a British racing car driver as the Speed Model Fox Moth with an enclosed cockpit and raised rear decking. Came to Australia in 1935. Retained the canopy and decking after World War II and presumably right to its demise in a swamp in Papua New Guinea in November 1953. Operated by Goldfields Airways.
C/n TS2810 ex ZK-AGM. Destroyed by fire after a crash landing near Freezing Flat, NZ on 27 Apr 1963 in which the passenger died. Prior to this, the aircraft had been rebuilt with a new fuselage following a landing accident to ZK-ADH c/n 4085 on 7 Jun 1936 near Wigram, NZ, hence the "TS" (DH Technical School, Hatfield) suffix to the c/n. It was subsequently rebuilt from very small surviving components from 1997 by the Newbury Aeroplane Company near Hungerford for owner Bruce Broady. It was registered as G-CIPJ on 29 May 2015 and first flew on 3 Aug 2015 from Rendcomb, Glos. It is due to return to New Zealand where it will be based at Motueka, near Nelson on the South Island.
Operated by the RFDS from 1947 to 1960 when it was withdrawn from use. Then had a brief career as a utility aircraft for a cropdusting firm. Damaged in 1964. Stored at Jim Stokes farm at Cunderdin 1968-71. Became a restoration project with different owners before being shipped to New Zealand in 1996. Flew in 2002 as ZK-USJ. Returned to Australia and its old marks in 2003.
Ex G-ACED. Imported into Australia as a used aircraft in 1937 and assembled at Archerfield by Qantas. VH-UZL was sold to Guinea Airways in November 1938 and destroyed in a Japanese air raid on Lae, Papua New Guinea, on January 21, 1942. Photo from: State Library of Queensland