Registered in 1928 to Arthur Butler who went on start Butler Airways at Cootamunda. Became VH-UHY in 1932. Reported in 1940 as dismantled and stored at Toowoomba, Queensland. UHY changed hands a few times after that but under wartime restrictions is unlikely to have been flown. Struck off the register in 1946. The location is either New South Wales, where the aircraft was based in 1929, or Victoria. The scenery is typical of rural parts of both states. Photo from: State Library of Victoria
G-AUBZ had a remarkably long career for an aircraft of its era. Registered in 1921, it was around long enough to became VH-UBZ. It was initially owned by legendary pilot Ray Parer, then went to Qantas and on to Matthews Aviation at Essendon. It remained in use into the late 1930s before being struck off the register in 1940, Photo from: National Library of Australia
VH-UKN had a chequered career with many prangs during its service with the Australian Aero Club (Victoria) and its successors, the Victorian Aero Club and the Royal Victorian Aero Club. In this photo the Gipsy Moth carries the Australian Aero Club logo on the forward fuselage, with the text "Victoria Section" below it. The aircraft was withdrawn from use in 1940. Photo from: State Library of Victoria
Postcard probably published in 1929. Later G-AEPU and SE-AHA. Donated to Finland and ferried from Sweden on 12 March 1940. Served in Finnish air force as FE-1 and crashed 27 September 1941 following an engine failure.
G-AUHW was originally registered to Airgold. Following repairs in the wake of an accident at Cowes in Victoria, it was sold to Les Holden in January 1929 for use in Papua New Guinea. Then registered VH-UHW, Canberra crashed at Kalapit in PNG on November 2, 1934 and was destroyed in the ensuing fire. Photo from: State Library of Queensland
Photo believed to date from about 1929 when G-AUAE was reregistered VH-UAE. At the time it was operated by the Australian Aero Club. The timber building at the right is the original aero club and was replaced by a more substantial building on a different site in 1930. The old club building was then removed and the area became apron. The hangar is Government Hangar No.1, which stood out as it had the airport name, Mascot, painted in the roof. VH-UAE remains registered in 2019. Photo from: Hood Collection/State Library of New South Wales
Newly built Boeing 80A in flight over Seattle. 12 examples of this 3-crew 18-passenger trimotor airliner were built. Most, including this example, were quickly modified to Model 80A-1 standard with a finlet added to each tailplane. From Boeing 60 years ago.