Delivered to KLM as PH-TEL in 1949, Reregistered as PH-CEL then to Swissair as HB-IMA in 1954. To Mohawk Airlines as N1020C in 1956, to other operators from 1966 then to Trans Florida in 1976. Scrapped at Daytona Beach in 2007. Nose to Mojave.
Taken shortly after delivery to KLM and before application of the name "Albert Cuyp" - after the painter. "De Vliegende Hollander" titles on starboard side - English version on the port side. From KLM 60 years ago.
Originally delivered to KLM in 1948 as PH-TEG, and seen here when owned by Industrial Nucleonics. Among the other regns worn by this well travelled 240 were PH-CEG, N9820F, N9826F, N618S, N2510C, XB-FIS, N240DW and XB-AZM.
"Paulus Potter" served KLM from January 1949 until crashing at Schiphol on 25 May 1953. Seen here being loaded with freight on the morning run through Ringway to Dublin. "De Vliegende Hollander" titles are visible. Note the CV240s circular engine exhausts. Two Meteor T7s and two Harvards of 613 Squadron are visible in their hangar.
"Gerard Terborch" served KLM from November 1948 until sale in December 1957. It is operating the Schiphol-Ringway-Dublin (Collinstown) and return scheduled service and is parked in front of the 1940-built Hangar No.6.
"Pieter de Hoogh" served KLM from December 1948 until December 1953. It is arriving at Ringway on KL151 from Schiphol and will carry on to Dublin before returning. Sold to Swissair as HB-IRZ and later Mohawk as N1014C. Broken up in 1975.
Seen here while engaged on prisoner transportation configured with 44 passenger seats, this old 240 was first delivered to KLM way back in 2.49, later serving Swissair and Mohawk. Scrapped at Daytona Beach 11.07 although nose saved
"Adriaan van Ostade" arrives from Dublin on the through schedule to Schiphol. Visible is the 1938-built Chance Brothers octagonal floodlight, one of three in use until early wartime. The three sides facing the grass landing area were clear glazed. Two of the floodlights would be illuminated for night landings. They were dismantled in the early 1950s.
"Jan van Goyen" is operating the AMS-MAN-DUB schedule. KLM's CV240s were the first pressurised airliners to serve Ringway from Spring 1949, despite a runway only 4200 ft in length. Re-registered PH-CEG in April 1954 and sold in January 1960.
Swissair's "Ticino" on finals to Runway 06 inbound from Zurich. Previously with KLM as PH-TEA, this aircraft crashed six days later in the English Channel, six miles off Folkestone (Kent), when it ran out of fuel.