Delivered to Trans Canada Airlines May 1957, CF-THI stored at Winnipeg, MB in February 1969. In preparation for donation to the National Aeronautical Collection (now renamed Canada Aviation and Space Museum), the Viscount was flown to Montreal via Toronto. Restored to two class 40 seat configuration and repainted in TCA colors by Air Canada, it was flown for the last time to Rockliffe on November 16, 1969. Stored outside until 2006, restoration was not possible in the new storage area, so conservation was carried out to clean up the weathered aircraft to await restoration.
The last artifact of the sole Avro Jetliner. The purpose designed airliner's first flight was just 13 days after the DeHavilland Comet on August 10, 1949. Development of the aircraft was ordered stopped by the government in December 1951 in order to concentrate on the company's CF-100 all weather fighter. Used by Avro assisting other aircraft development until 1956, it was donated to the National Research Council. With no room to store the aircraft, it was scrapped but the forward fuselage was saved.
The third of four CL-84s built (1 company prototype and 3 improved production CL-84-1s for the Air Force). The CL-84 was tested by the Canadian Air Force and Canadair from 1971 - 72 and jointly with the Royal Air Force and the US Navy in 1972 - 74. Two aircraft were lost during testing due to mechanical failures, with this surviving aircraft being donated to the Canada Air and Space museum in 1984. The last aircraft built never flew and was until recently, displayed at Western Canada Aviation Museum, Winnipeg, MB.
All aircraft cancellations can be viewed as sad from a particular perspective but the story of the magnificent Avro CF-105 Arrow, an aircraft that would still have been state of the art and ahead of its time twenty years later, is particularly poignant. After the destruction of the prototypes and subsequent supression of the aircraft's legacy very little has survived. This set of Prototype 3's wings has been placed in storage in the Reserve Collection hangar at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum at Ottawa - Rockcliffe.
Nearly all that remains of Canada's Mach 2 Avro Arrow program. The first of five Mark 1 prototypes flew on March 25, 1958, but the program had been under scrutiny since 1957 by a newly elected government. The pictured aircraft was the first Arrow Mk 2 powered by the more powerful, yet lighter, Canadian designed Iroquois engine. It was being prepared for taxi testing when cancellation happened on February 20, 1959. 14,000 workers lost their job and all aircraft, engines, tooling and technical drawings were ordered scrapped.
One of six aircraft used in the construction of a barn at Weston-On-The-Green in 1919 its true identity is unknown. It was recovered by the RAF Museum in 1965. Registered as G-AANM in 1987. This registration was allocated to a Desoutter in 1929 but not taken up. Also allocated BAPC.166. It was painted as D7889. It flew in 2004 but was cancelled in 2010 and went to Canada.
This CH-135 was manufactured by Bell Aircraft Corporation at Forth Worth, TX in 1971. It was TOC by the RCAF and served throughout Canada, including SAR ops in Goose Bay, until the type was phased out of service in 1997. Now it is on display at the Canada Aviation & Space Museum at Rockcliffe.
The AEG G.IV was a tactical bomber featuring an all metal, welded-tube frame, making it a rugged and strong aircraft but, although easy to fly, it was dogged by very short-range. This example was shipped to Canada as a war trophy in 1919 and is on display at the Canada Aviation Museum. It is significant as not only the single one of it's type extant but of any preserved German, twin-engined combat aircraft from WWI. Note, the engines installed are not original, the museum is actively seeking replacements.
This 109 was manufactured by Erla Maschinenwerk in 1942 and sent to the Eastern Front. In August of that year, the aircraft was damaged in combat forcing it to crash-land near the Arctic port of Murmansk. Eventually the plane was acquired by a British complany who restored it in these original markings, however, the original combat bullet holes were nor repaired and are still visible. Acquired through exchange in 1999 it is now on display at the Canada Aviation & Space Museum.
The AEG G.IV was a tactical bomber featuring an all metal, welded-tube frame, making it a rugged and strong aircraft but, although easy to fly, it was dogged by very short-range. This example was shipped to Canada as a war trophy in 1919 and is on display at the Canada Aviation & Space Museum. It is significant as not only the single one of it's type extant but of any preserved German, twin-engined combat aircraft from WWI. Note, the engines installed are not original and the museum is actively seeking replacements.
This Volksjäger was built at the Heinkel-Nord plant in Rostock-Marienehe, Germany around late Feb. or Mar. 1945. It was captured from the Luftwaffe at Leck on VE Day and shipped to the UK the following month to be exhibited as a war trophy in Hyde Park. The plane was shipped to Canada in Sep. 1946 and placed into storage by the RCAF. It was acquired by the Canada Aviation & Space Museum in 1967 and is on display unrestored giving this exhibit a real sense of history and gravitas.
This beautiful old airliner is currently being stored in the Canada Aviation Museum Reserve Collection. The aircraft is facing the large windows that form the whole side of this building so the foil covering the tyres, de-icing boots and cockpit is to protect the rubber from perishing from exposure to sunlight.
This DC-3 was manufactured in 1942 and TOC by the USAAF as 43-1985, a C-49J. In 1945 it was sold to Trans-Canada Air Lines becoming the first DC-3 operated by that airline. Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company bought the aircraft in 1948 and refinished it for VIP transportation, serving with Goodyear until 1983 when the company donated it to the Canada Aviation & Space Museum where it is now on display.
Thiis Kittyhawk was built in 1942 and was intended for the RAF as AL135 but instead joined the RCAF and served in the defence of BC before being relegated to training duties and then being placed in Storage. Fortunately she was earmarked for preservation at an early stage and so joined the Canada Aviation Museum and is currently part of their Reserve Collection.
Originally C-47B 44-76590, this C-47 was transferred to the RAF on March 26, 1945 to become Dakota IV KN451. It was purchased by the Canadian Government for the RCAF in April 1946, retaining the same serial number. In 1950, it was designated an instructional airframe and given the serial 655, the B designating an aircraft not complete without running engines. Moved to the Canadian Aviation Museum in August 1964 and stored outside until 2003 when it was obtained by the Greenwood Military Aviation Museum. Broken down into sections and trucked to Nova Scotia, it was restored for display.