34 B-47E bombers were converted for weather reconaissance work in the early 1960s. They carried no armament, an instrument pod in the bomb bay and cameras in the nose to photograph cloud formations. The WB-47Es were retired in the fall of 1969.
This B-47 was built at Tulsa and TOC by the USAF in May 1955 serving initially with the 301st Bombardment (Medium) Wing (Strategic Air Command) at Barksdale AFB, LA. It was retired in June 1964 before going on display at the SAC Museum at Offutt AFB and moving to the new premises at Ashland in 1998.
This B-47 was stationed at Bunker Hill AFB (now Grissom AFB) when damage from an extremely hard landing caused it to be declared a write-off and retired. Fortunately, especially as it is a rarer B-version, the frame was not scrapped and is now on display at the super Grissom Air Museum.
During the early Cold War years the USAF needed to be able to gather information, such as location, range and coverage, on Soviet radar capability. To meet this need the RB-47H was developed (from the B-47E) and this example came the the National Museum of the USAF in 1998 and following extensive restoration went on display in 2003. She was originally delivered in 1955 and served with the 55th Strategic Reconnaisance Wing until 1966.
A total of 107 B-47Bs were modified as trainers by the additional of a 4th seat for the instructor and deletion of the tail turret. This one went on to be designated as a JTB-47B in 1957 but reverted to TB-47B although redesignated NTB-47B in 1961. Was displayed at Florence Air and Space Museum from 1965, but more recently moved to the Mighty Eighth Heritage Museum, Pooler, GA, near Savannah Airport