As part of an agreement between Boeing and the USAF to determine if the B-1 could remain in service until 2040, 85-0082 was trucked during October 2011 from AMARG to Boeing Field for conversion into a full-sized test platform. This airframe was selected as it was the most recent B-1 arrival at the boneyard and, before retirement, it was operated by the 419th FTS at Edwards AFB so is a relatively low-hours plane. Pictured in the hangar being prepared for its new role: submitting it to 150 years of operational stresses - equal to two and a half times the service projected lifetime.
Former US Navy US-2C bu 133355 is pictured while with South Seattle Community College. It was sold to Advanced Aviation Services September 15, 1999 for cloud seeding operations with the Desert Research Institute in Nevada. The aircraft had an engine failure April 17, 2000 taking off from Reno, NV and crashed.
Originally World War II 42-2472 , this Beech 18 was re-manufactured to become USAF 51-11696. Having flown for years with Mercy Flights of Medford, OR, the aircraft was retired in 1980. It's now on display at the Museum of Flight in Seattle, WA.
Ordered as a DC-3-455 for Eastern but delivered to the USAAF as C-49K 43-2013 in January 1943. Disposed in 1945. Converted to DC-3A and served with Delta as NC15748, later N15748. After a crash in private ownership in 1979 this aircraft was eventually donated to the Museum of Flight in poor condition in Aug 1987. Cosmetically restored and placed on display as "NC91008" (c/n 25422) of Alaska Airlines, but removed from display in 1997 and dumped. Trucked to Aerometal at Aurora, OR in June 2016. Note: this airframe is often incorrectly associated with NC17885, but that was c/n 9064.
The Nie 27 was almost identical to the Nie 24. This replica was built in 1980 and has a steel tube rather than the authentic wooden fuselage, and a 165-hp Gnome engine. It carries the markings of No 1 Sqn, Royal Flying Corps, which continued to fly Nie 17s and Nie 27s until January 1918.
The nimble Nieuport fighters were outgunned by heavier machines towards the end of WWI, and the later models were increasingly used as advanced trainers. French wooden-legged ace Paul Tarascon flew a Nie 24bis named Zigomar 5 for some time, but he too converted to the SPAD S.VII. This replica was flown in 1995 and has an original Le Rhône engine.
First flown in 1926, the Parasol kit aircraft was technically and commercially succesful. Edward Heath's company sold 50 assembled aircraft and nearly 1000 kits, several hundred of which were finished and flown by homebuilders. A 25-hp Henderson B-4 modified motorcycle engine was the standard powerplant. The Museum of Flight completed its original kit in 2008.
Flown in 1914, the Ca 20 was armed with a machine gun placed above the pilot and the propeller disc, and it does look like a harbinger of the fighter aircraft. Only this prototype was built, however. The Ca 20 was largely forgotten, although it was shown at an exposition in Rome in 1936.