Despite being registered VH-TMQ for several months before the photo, this C-47 was delivered to Essendon in its full RAAF markings. Stripped back to bare metal but then abandoned. Finally restored in the late 1990s and flown again in 2000. Now used for nostalgia flights.
This C-47 was built in 1944 and flew with the USAF as 44-76540 and participated in the 1947-49 Berlin Airlift. Due of the importance of this event for the City of Berlin it was acquired for sightseeing flights in 2000. Tragically the frame was written-off at SXF less than a week after this photo was taken after the left engine failed on take-off and the aircraft was unable to gain height. Fortunately the pilots could crash land in a field and all aboard survived.
Scrapped at Ardmore after being withdrawn from use in 1979. The forward fuselage, wing centre section and engines shipped to the Cook Islands for use as a wind generator on a set of The Silent One (1985). Engines later sold in the US. Rest was still corroding away at Aitutaki as recently as 2008.
Taken from outside the airport fence. Part of the Fundacion de Parc Aeronautic de Catalunya, this is one of their future restoration projects. Spantax titels still can be seen, as well as the registration under the wing.
VH-PNA was fitted with JATO and at one stage undercarriage doors. The latter were soon removed because of maintenance problems but the JATO pack remained. It is not recorded if it was used outside testing in 1961.
Ex Spanish AF T.3-20, 43-48503. Registration cancelled on 17 November 1980 and became CP-1668. It was written off on 8 December 1990 after striking a building when it ran forward during the engine run-up prior to departure from Cochabamba Airport, Bolivia.
TAA leased VH-PNB from Ansett Airlines of Papua New Guinea, which had taken over Patair. On April 6, 1972 while being operated by TAA it overran Madang airport into the harbour. Written off due to salt damage.