Built in 1933 for a British racing car driver as the Speed Model Fox Moth with an enclosed cockpit and raised rear decking. Came to Australia in 1935. Retained the canopy and decking after World War II and presumably right to its demise in a swamp in Papua New Guinea in November 1953.
Used to connect Sydney with Rabaul in Papua New Guinea. Ditched near Kavieng, PNG, on March 15, 1940. Salvaged a week later but the airframe collapsed as it was lifted on to the deck of the salvage schooner.
Used to support the construction of the Manapouri power station, and sold in Fiji as VQ-FBC in February 1969. Utah Williamson Burnett was a joint venture between Utah Construction & Mining Company (USA), Burnett Motors Ltd. (Ashburton, New Zealand) and W. Williamson Construction Company (Christchurch, New Zealand), created solely for the Manapouri power station project in New Zealand.
Abandoned at Allahabad, Pakistan, on December 26, 1946 while being ferried to the UK. Crew feared imminent failure of the tail. Between the time of the photo and being abandoned, VH-USW had served with the RAAF as an ambulance. It suffered a couple of significant accidents with Holyman's before the war. Postwar Qantas rejected -USW due to its poor condition and it went to MMA in Western Australia.
Prototype Wackett when fitted with a DH Gipsy Major engine. Performance poor so refitted with a Gipsy Six. Heavier engine improved performance but at expense of a higher stalling speed and longer take-off run. Warner Scarab radial selected for production model (CA-6). The delays meant the RAAF adopted the DH82 Tiger Moth as its main trainer. 200 CA-6s were delivered to the RAAF compared with 1085 DH82.
Operated by 5 Communications Unit out of Townsville, Queensland, during the war. Sent to Tocumwal, NSW, for disposal.. Seen at Sydney airport in July 1949 still in its wartime markings and codes awaiting civil conversion . Became VH-BNL with Gibbes Sepik Airways in Papua New Guinea.