Only one aircraft of the type was built as a dedicated mailplane. It was designed to compete with the KLM mail services to N.E. Indies. With tail #6 it entered the famous McRobertson air race in 1934, but it was destroyed by fire after hitting an unlit tractor at Allahabad during its take off at night.
This picture shows the original Douglas DC-2, PH-AJU, de "Uiver". An enormous crowd gathered at the airfield of Darmo, Surabaya. The plane made a stop over during its return flight from Australia to Holland after it participated in the Londen-Melbourne race. There are more than enough volunteers to push the DC-2 to its parking spot!
The first flight of the F-107 was on September 10, 1956. The F-107's competitor for the Air Force contract was the Republic F-105. While both aircraft performed very well the decision eventually came down on the side of the F-105 primarily because it had a full internal bomb bay while the F-107 did not. After Air Force testing ended two of the F-107 prototypes were turned over to NASA for experimental testing of the control system for the X-15 and high speed research flights.
Fighter Squadron 111 (VF-111), USS Kitty Hawk, 1979. Made famous by the movie "Top Gun," the F-14 Tomcat is the last of Grumman's "Cat" series of Naval fighters which began with the F4F Wildcat in the 1930s. Tomcats entered service on the USS Enterprise in 1974, and flew some of the last American combat missions over Vietnam while providing air cover over Saigon during the American evacuation in April 1975. The Tomcat was retired from service in the U.S. Navy in 2006.
The U. S. Army selected the Sikorsky Choctaw in 1955 as a medium lift cargo and troop transport. Built as the CH-34A between 1955 and February of 1959 there were 426 Choctaws delivered to the Army. Others were delivered to the United States Air Force and Navy. Beginning in 1958 the Choctaw was upgraded to CH-34C standards with the installation of auto-stabilization systems to allow all-weather operations. Also beginning in 1958 several Choctaws were converted to VIP transports for use by the Executive Flight Detachment and provided helicopter transport for the President until the end of 1964