Delivered in October 1943 and served at Point Cook, Victoria, and Mallala, South Australia. Disposed off in 1947 for scrap. Undated RAAF photo. The Oxford behind, R6183, crashed in February 1945. It too served at Point Cook and Mallala.
An (at that time) unusual dark grey C-130J-30 of the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF). The RAAF started to repaint their twelve fleet strong C-130Js in 2007, and had finished the repainting programme by August 2017. The C-130J was first introduced into RAAF service in 1999, featuring a light grey camouflage scheme. The current two-tone dark grey scheme was introduced in 2007, reflecting the Hercules' shifting focus to tactical airlift operations. The dozen Js are flown by 37 Squadron out of RAAF Base Richmond.
Part of the second batch of Moths for the RAAF, Gipsy powered and built by Larkin in Melbourne. Four were fitted with floats and operated from RAAF Point Cook. A7-24 crashed while alighting near Point Cook on June 1, 1934. Photo from: State Library of Queensland
Delivered in 1947, A80-1 was the first helicopter for the RAAF and the Australian military. Written off when it crashed into the Murray River on or about December 4, 1951. The RAAF didn't get into helicopters in a big way until the 1960s and the Vietnam War the arrival of UH-1 Iroquois. Went on to operate CH-47 Chinook, AS350 Squirrel and UH-60 Black Hawks. In 1989 all helicopters were transferred to the Army. Today civilian operators provide SAR at RAAF bases. Photo from: National Library of Australia
Built in Australia for the RAF to use in Singapore. Retained by the RAAF after the fall of Singapore and reserialled A9-1. Used for training until stored in 1945. Later scrapped. Photo from: National Library of Australia
Incredibly, this is the first production Canberra delivered to the RAF in October 1950. It was over the nose of this aircraft that Australian prime minister Robert Menzies poured champagne on January 19, 1951 when naming the new bomber "Canberra". In 1957 WD929 was converted to a U10 drone. Shipped to the RAAF's Weapons Research Establishment in 1959 and destroyed by a missile on October 15 that year. Remains turned up in a scrapyard in the Adelaide industrial suburb of Wingfield.
A9-7 hangs from the crane on the HMAS Albatross, the Australian navy's seaplane tender. The ship saw limited service with the RAN and was paid off in 1933. It was later given to the Royal Navy as part payment for a cruiser. Became HMS Albatross and served through World War II. Postwar it became the Hellenic Prince and used as a passenger ship until scrapped in 1954. A9-7 was scrapped in 1934 with the arrival of Seagull Vs. The RAAF continued to operate seaplanes from cruisers and other RAN ships through the war. Photo from: National Library of Australia