The fourth and last XP-51 was the first P-51 delivered to the US Army. It was transferred to NACA in 1942. The aircraft was placed in storage for the National Air Museum (now the National Air and Space Museum) in 1949. Acquired by the EAA in 1975, it was restored and flew again in 1976. Last flown in 1982, it resides in the EAA Museum and is taken outside for display on special occasions.
Delivered to the USAAF in March 1945 and to the AMI under MDAP in September 1950. Ended its career as a general's personal plane and made its last flight as such in September 1964. On display in original Centro Addestramento al Volo (Flight Training Centre) markings.
After many years, its back in the air and looking fantastic. And sounding just as nice too. This Mustang is painted to honor the Tuskegee Red Tail Squadron. It was formerly USAF 44-74908 and later as RCAF 9273. "Bunny" is frequently seen on the air show circuit and also on flights around its Palm Springs Air Museum home.