Rebuilt in 1943 from the burnt remains of D.H.60G VH-UHQ c/n 878 due to a wartime shortage of aircraft. Given new c/n and type changed to a D.H.60GIII Moth Major with a Gipsy Major engine. Crashed December 16, 1945., Reappeared on the register in 1996 as D.H60G c/n 1. Appears to remain a restoration project. Photo from: Civil Aviation Historical Society, Melbourne, Australia
Scanned from a 80x55mm print. No date given, but thought to be 1944. Writen on the back of the print is 'S/Ldr Frazer and crew went missing in this aircraft'. Info from the CWGC shows that Squadron Leader Ronald George Renwick Frazer (age 30) of 58 Sqn. went missing on February 24th, 1945, No known grave. Photo passed to me by a friend whose uncle flew with Coastal Command at the time.
The Martin Mars prototype in take-off at an unknown location, possibly the Pacific off San Francisco. This photo was taken circa 1944, about two years after it had been converted from patrol bomber to transport aircraft, by the removal of its gun turrets, bomb bays, armored plating and other combat provisions. Instead, this transport version received additional cargo hatches and cargo loading equipment, as well as reinforced decking. Photo from: US Navy / National Naval Aviation Museum
Two Ansons of 14 Ferry Pool, Air Transport Auxiliary, return in formation to their base at Manchester's Ringway Airport. The veteran aircrews aboard have just delivered several new Woodford-built Lancasters to Bomber Command airfields in Lincolnshire. Obtained from an ATA pilot over 50 years ago.
The Buckingham was intended to be a Bristol Centaurus powered replacement for the Beaufighter, but development delays meant that it never entered service as a bomber. 119 were built, mainly converted to high speed transports. Obtained from Bristols 60 years ago.
An RAF Mitchell II at Ringway awaiting delivery to its next squadron by the Air Transport Auxiliary veteran pilot of the based 14 Ferry Pool. The location now forms part of the Terminal 2 aprons. Obtained from an ATA pilot 40 years ago.
A retired Whitley V bomber in use as a parachute dropping training aircraft with the Ringway based No. 1 Parachute Traing School soon before replacement by Dakotas. This late model was fitted with RR Merlins. Obtained from a wartime RAF member over 50 years ago.
The first of two prototype XP-77 lightweight fighters powered by a 520 h.p. XV-770 and armed with two 0.5 inch guns and a ventral bomb rack. The aircraft proved to be underpowered and the programme was cancelled after the second example crashed in October 1944. From Bell Aircraft 60 years ago.
Coastal Command Wellington XIV wearing their white colours with grey top. Built by Vickers at Blackpool or Chester. Awaiting delivery to its assigned squadron by the veteran Air Transport Auxiliary pilot of the Ringway-based 14 Ferry Pool. Obtained from another ATA pilot 50 years ago.