Low speed test aircraft used for evaluating the handling characteristics of the delta wing planform prior to construction of the Vulcan bombers. First flew 6th September 1950. Withdrawn at Bedford in 1960 and scrapped. Image obtained from Avro 50 years ago.
The Avro York production line in Ringway's Southside Hangar 522 in summer 1944. MW124 has its serial chalked on its nose. It was delivered to 511 Squadron on 28 August 1944, later serving 51 Sqn. Disposed for scrap in June 1950. Image obtained from Avro over 40 years ago.
Delivered to the RAF College at Cranwell in 1933, being one of 280 delivered to become the RAF's standard trainer. Sold postwar as G-AHSA and currently airworthy with the Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden. Image obtained 60 years ago.
The Tudor 8 was a conversion from Tudor 4 G-AGST and was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Nene 4 turbojets, first flying thus on 6 September 1948. It was demonstrated at that year's Farnborough Air Show. This one-off type was fitted with a tailwheel undercrriage, and was developed into the tri u/c Avro 706 Ashton. VX195 was broken up in 1951. From Avros 60 years ago.
The prototype Avro Manchester twin-engined bomber, powered by two Rolls Royce Vulture engines, shortly after completion at Ringway. It first flew on 24 July 1939 with test pilot H.A. "Sam" Brown at the controls. From Avro 50 years ago.
The Aldershot was a large long range heavy bomber which served 99 Squadron RAF from 1924 until 1926. There were two prototypes and 15 production examples. J6852 was the first to fly in early 1922. It was later modified as the Type 549C with an 850 h.p. Beardmore Typhoon as seen here. From Avros 60 years ago.
The prototype Lancaster BT308 was assembled and had its initial test flights at Ringway. It is seen here with the initial small fins supplemented by a third on the fusealage. After its first flight on 9 January 1941, the familiar larger elliptical twin fins were fitted. From Avro 60 years ago.
The prototype stretched Tudor 2 taking off on a test flight. Retains the original pointed fin shape. Crashed on take-off at Woodford on 23 August 1947 because of incorrect assembly of ailerons. Designer Roy Chadwick and others were killed. Obtained from Avro over 50 years ago.
The second prototype Manchester made its first flight from its Ringway birthplace on 26 May 1940. This view shows that it has been modified with a large central fin but retains the small elliptical outer fins. Armament has been installed for tests. From Avros 60 years ago.
This Vulcan B.1 was retained for tests. First flew in 1957 and in 1962 it was modified for trials carrying the Blue Steel long range missile in its bomb bay, as seen here. It was later used by Bristol Siddeley Engines to test the Olympus 593 as used in Concorde. Obtained from Avros nearly 50 years ago.
A Lancaster with radial engines - Bristol Hercules. To guard against the possibility of shortages of RR Merlins, the Lancaster was adapted to take the Bristol engine. This is the prototype, built at Chadderton and assembled and first flown from Ringway on 26 November 1941. 300 production aircraft were built by Armstrong Whitworth and served with six Bomber Command squadrons. From Avro 60 years ago.
The second Shackleton MR.3 on a test flight over the distinctive chalk cliffs of the Isle of Wight. It wears the dark sea-grey Coastal Command scheme of the period with large black serial on the rear fuselage. Delivered in late 1956, serving 120 and 201 Squadrons. Obtained from Avros over 50 years ago.
The unregistered protototype Baby shortly before its first flight on 30 April 1919 from Hamble, when it spun in on the nearby foreshore because the pilot cut the ignition switches inadvertently. Parts used in construction of a second example K-131, later G-EACQ and G-AUCQ. The latter is the sole survivor of the type, exhibited in a Brisbane museum. From Avro 60 years ago.