'First three planes built by Kinner.' The sole Kinner P Sedan was built for Robert Porter, who managed the Kinner company following Bert Kinner's departure. The second aircraft is a Model R-1 Playboy built for Dr Ross Sutherland according to the photographer's notes, and on the right is a Model K Sportster. Photo by: John Underwood / Glendale Public Library
Beautiful night shot by professional photographer Van de Poll. Havik (Hawk) served KLM from 1932 until 1936. To British Airways on 31 October 1936 as G-AEOT but already lost three weeks later. Photo by: Willem van de Poll / Nationaal Archief (Netherlands)
Registered in 1930 to Matthews Aviation and used on services to King Island. It was sold in 1934. Qantas acquired -UNV in October 1937. Slightly damaged when it landed with the gear extended on the Brisbane River near Pinkenba on April 5, 1938. Wrecked during the subsequent heavy-handed salvage operation. Photo from: National Library of Australia
VH-UHZ at Archerfield after a rebuild. Its propeller had snapped on September 18, 1928, tearing the engine out of the aircraft, which then crashed. Registered G-AUHZ, its CoA expired. Returned to the register in 1933. Caught fire in flight on February 2, 1941 and force landed near Byrock, NSW. Burnt out. Photo from: State Library of Queensland
Designed for KLM by Joop Carley and built by the Werkspoor company, the Jumbo was a dedicated cargo aircraft first flown in 1930. The sole example was used on the Amsterdam - Rotterdam - London route for two years and used as a trainer from 1933. Photo by: Willem van de Poll / Nationaal Archief (Netherlands)
Delivered to the RAF College at Cranwell in 1933, being one of 280 delivered to become the RAF's standard trainer. Sold postwar as G-AHSA and currently airworthy with the Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden. Image obtained 60 years ago.
Three-seat amphibian powered by a 100 h.p. Kinner K-5 engine. Named "The Beachcomber". One of 25 built under licence from Savoia by the American Aeronautical Co of Port Washington NY in 1929. Photo obtained 60 years ago.
United took delivery of a large fleet of Boeing 247s during 1933, replacing their biplanes and single-engined aircraft. NC13359 is nearest in this formation, with NC13342 (1723) in the lead and NC13316 (1697) farthest away. Obtained from UAL 60 years ago.
The sole Douglas DC-1 during tests after its first flight from Clover Field, Santa Monica on 1 July 1933. This head-on shot shows the slender slab-sided fuselage and the squarer-tipped wings of this prototype aircraft. See other image for further information. Obtained from Douglas over 50 years ago.
The forerunner of all Douglas Commercials. The sole DC-1 was ordered by Howard Hughes for TWA and first flew on 1 July 1933. Here used by the airline for tests before delivery for commercial use on 15 September 1933. Bought by Hughes in 1936. Later to G-AFIF, EC-AGN and EC-AAE being damaged beyond repair in a forced landing at Malaga with Iberia in December 1940. Note the slender slab-sided fuselage, original fin shape and spatted tailwheel. Obtained from Douglas over 50 years ago.
Used by American on "Air Express" services (see diamond insignia below cockpit). Carried up to five passengers plus mail. The firm changed name to American Airlines in 1934. Aircraft crashed on landing at Pittsburgh 10 January 1935. From Lockheed 60 years ago.
United Airlines were the launch customer for the Boeing 247. Within a few months of the type's first flight in early 1933, over 30 were in service with UAL, replacing the previous assortment of single-engined and biplane airliners. Obtained from Boeing 60 years ago.