Swissair operated some rare birds, including two of the five GA-43 aircraft produced by the General Aviation company, formerly Fokker's Atlantic Aircraft. Seating ten passengers, the GA-43 was also called the Clark GA-43 after its designer, Virginius E. Clark. CH-169 became HB-LAM and was sold in 1936 to disappear in the fog of the Spanish Civil War. Photo from: ETH-Bibliothek Zürich
Designed as an airliner and bomber, the Ju 86 saw more civil use than the He 111. Swissair bought one Ju-86B-0, HB-IXI (c/n 860008) in 1936. It was soon damaged, returned to the manufacturer and replaced by HB-IXE. This machine became HB-IXA in 1939 when its Jumo diesel engines were replaced by BMW 132 radials. It crashed in July 1939. DC-2 HB-ISI is in the background here. Photo from: ETH-Bibliothek Zürich
This was the only Curtiss Condor passenger aircrarft in Europe. Painted blue with red wings, CH-170 crashed after only three months of service and all twelve people on board were killed. In the United States the Condor was used mainly as a sleeper airliner. Photo by: Walter Mittelholzer / ETH-Bibliothek Zürich
Wearing a modernised colour scheme, this C-47B had arrived on SR118 from Zurich and was hangared overnight in Ringway's 1938-built initial hangar. It would leave next morning on the four-hour return flight to Kloten.
"Glarus" served Swissair from January 1949 until sale to Mohawk Als as N1017C in May 1957. It is landing on Ringway's Runway 06 inbound from Zurich on the evening schedule. It wears the second Swissair scheme with white top and added cheatlines.
Assembled by Fokker at Schiphol and delivered to Swissair on 22 June 1937. The Wright Cyclones fitted to this early DC-3 are readily identifiable. Operating SR118 from Kloten. To Ozark in 1955 as N2816D. Written off in 1969.
"Geneve" taxies out on the Zurich schedule, replacing the usual Convair 240 because of heavy pax bookings. She served Swissair from new in August 1951 until sale to Sterling Airways as OY-EAN in June 1962.
Ex USAAF 43-49204 serving with the 9th AF in World War Two. Bought by Swissair in May 1946 and operated until sold as EC-AQF in November 1960. Seen at Manchester Ringway in early 1949 wearing the initial bare metal scheme when operating SR118/119 from/to Zurich Kloten.
"Luzern" was the first Swiss Air Lines DC-4 to visit Manchester when it replaced the usual DC-3 because of heavy passenger bookings. It stopped overnight on the 1938 apron and is seen wearing the original all-metallic scheme. HB-ILO served SR from 30 April 1947 until it was lost on an overshoot at Schiphol on 14 December 1951.
Delivered new to Swissair from the Fokker assembly line at Schiphol on 10 May 1939. It is departing from Ringway on the Zurich schedule wearing the initial all-metallic scheme. Sold to USA in November 1955.
A crowd greets the arrival of the first ever Swissair scheduled flight from Zurich at Ringway. This was the longest route to Manchester until late 1953. HB-IRN had served several RAF Squadrons as KN683 until bought by Swissair in March 1947. Now preserved at Luzern.
"Geneve" is replacing the usual CV240 on the Zurich service because of heavy passenger bookings. It served SR from July 1951 until sale to Sterling as OY-EAN in June 1962. Passengers from another arriving flight walk unaccompanied across the apron - such was the easygoing situation in those days!
HB-IRB has just arrived on the schedule from Kloten and airport staff push the steps towards the small pax door of this postwar-built DC-3D. Served Swissair from March 1946 until sale in September 1964 as LN-LMK.
Swissair's first DC-4 - identifiable by the '66' on its nosewheel door - being the 66th postwar-built DC-4-1009. HB-ILA was delivered to SR on 26 November 1946 was named "Geneve". Transferred to Balair in 1959 and crashed in Sudan on 15 June 1960. From Swissair 60 years ago.