Fiat license-built 221 F-86K's, the AMI's first all-weather fighter. This is one was delivered to the Armée the l'Air and returned to Italy in January 1962. It served until late 1970, eventually marked as displayed. Was under restoration during 2004-2007.
The G-91T advanced jet trainer was based on the G-91R and gained both length and wingspan on the original. It maintained the single-seater's characteristics and kept an acceptable range. MM6344 actually flew as SA-44 with the Scuola Volo Basico Avanzato Aviogetti at Amendola.
Delivered in the mid-1970s and restored in the full outfit with original code of its first job, a basic jet trainer with the Scuola Volo Basico Iniziale Aviogetti at Galatina. Withdrawn from use by June 1994 and taken up by the museum.
The G.91Y was considerably superior to the earlier versions in almost every aspect. The most noticeable difference are the two J85 engines that replaced the single Bristol Orpheus but there were many more improvements. This one flew for many years with the 101°Gruppo CBR/8°Stormo, of which it displays the symbols on nose and tail respectively.
Was the sole SF260 of 70°Stormo for some time and made its official last flight there on 19 September 2009 with these extra titles (other side says '1976-2009'). Actually flew at least until late October 2009 and preserved in Vigna di Valle since 2012.
The rear fuselage and tail, showing the yellowed 41°Stormo emblem, the code applied (last operational one may have been AS-6) and how the original BuNo was adopted as Matricula Militare. The small tail strut and wheel that would prevent the empannage from hitting the deck for carrier-landing S-2s can also just be seen.
Close-up of the serial applied to the SM.79 of the museum that was actually the former L-112 of the Lebanese air force, and MM45508 before that. MM24327 was really a Piaggio P.108 heavy bomber of WW2. The model is of one of three SM.79s that gained fame early in 1938 with a Rome-Dakar-Rio de Janeiro flight.
Considered the best fighter-bomber of its day, the nuclear-capable F-84F was also quite daunting to student pilots: there were no two-seaters. Delivered in 1957 and based later at Gioia del Colle as displayed.
Although somewhat compromising the exhibition of the aircraft, the way this Tracker is parked actually highly resembles how it would be done below deck on an aircraft carrier! The Italian S-2s operated from land though, and this was one of six delivered to the AMI (on behalf of the Marina Militare) at Napoli in 1957.
Built under the Mutual Defense Assistance Program, accepted from factory early 1956 and delivered to the AMI in Spring that year. Preserved since 1972 and eventually restored with original markings of the 3º Stormo Ricognitori.
In full colour scheme of the 'Tigri Bianche' aerobatic team of 51°Stormo. Actually flew with them, but on display now as MM51-16746, which was another 'Tigri Bianche' F-84G that went from Italy to Greece, via the USA. Previously in the museum with its real identity, 111049/51-18.
Higly modified version for high altitude flights. Second seat removed in favour of provisions to mount a light jet engine on a pylon above the wing. Reached altitudes around 10,000m (33,000ft) as such.
Delivered to the Turkish air force in 1955, then to Italy under MDAP in 1957. In target towing livery with markings as it was retired in 1984 by the 609a Squadriglia Collegamenti, 9° Stormo "Francesco Baracca".
Fiat designed the G.80 for the same role as the T-33, but performance fell short despite good handling in flight. After two prototypes, three preproduction aircraft followed. This is the second one of those, with a forward fuselage part of a G.82, a further development that did not enter production either.
Ambrosini took its 1939 S.7 racing aircraft as a starting point to develop a small series of experimental airplanes. This started with the implementation of swept wings and tail surface in the early 1950s, followed by fitting a jet engine to the still wooden taildragger airframe. The resulting Sagittario (Archer) was then followed in 1956 by this all-metal Sagittario 2 with tricycle gear. This was the first Italian aircraft to break through Mach 1. On display is the second prototype, a static test frame.
The Ariete was the follow-up to Aerfer's Sagittario 2 and the final model of a line that started with the 1939 wooden, taildragging S.7 racing aircraft. The main difference with Sagittario 2 was the added secondary engine, with retractable dorsal air intake and tail exhaust. Test flight results in March 1958 were unsatisfactory and construction was abandoned after this second prototype.
In the PAN version of the G.91, the guns have been replaced by counterweights, and pitch dampers and the smoke system have been added, all especially for use by the 313° Gruppo Addestramento Acrobatico, better known as the "Frecce Tricolori".