With the sad closing of this great museum, many exhibits were either moved or scrapped. 'Whiskey Pete' was one of the lucky ones and is pictured here being boxed and and prepared for the journey to the Southern Museum of Flight in Birmingham, Alabama. This plane was originally built as a B-25J, TOC in February 1945, converted to a TB-25N in December 1954 (at Birmingham, presumably why the SMoF wanted it) and SOC in August 1958. It had been on display at Chanute since 1965.
Originally built as a B-25J at Kansas City in 1944 and then converted to TB-25N around 1952. It was damaged in a taxi accident at Connally AFB in 1958 and transferred to DM (MASDC?) for storage. It then entered the civil register as N3441G but a planned sprayer conversion fell through and it became derelict after open storage at South Omaha, NE. In 1969, restoration was began but never completed and the sectioned fuselage is now opened up for internal viewing at the SAC & Aerospace Museum.
This is actually N86427 ex-USAAF 44-29121 but is on display at the super Museo del Aire at Cuatro Vientos. The original B-25, 74-17, was another B-25 (ex-41-30338) that flew with the Spanish AF but was interned after landing in Nador (North Africa) in Aug. 1944. In 1948 it was returned to flying condition and between 1950-1953 served in the air force but was, unfortunately, scrapped in 1956.