Used to connect Sydney with Rabaul in Papua New Guinea. Ditched near Kavieng, PNG, on March 15, 1940. Salvaged a week later but the airframe collapsed as it was lifted on to the deck of the salvage schooner.
VH-USG was being delivered to Qantas when it crashed soon after departing Longreach killing the three crew and one passenger. As can be seen in the photo, the fin had failed. The problem was a defective fin-trim mechanism and similar faults were found in the rest of the Qantas DH86 fleet. Poor quality control at DH to blame. -USG was neither registered in the UK nor Australia at the time but was being ferried on a UK Certificate of Airworthiness. Photo from: State Library of Queensland
Abandoned at Allahabad, Pakistan, on December 26, 1946 while being ferried to the UK. Crew feared imminent failure of the tail. Between the time of the photo and being abandoned, VH-USW had served with the RAAF as an ambulance. It suffered a couple of significant accidents with Holyman's before the war. Postwar Qantas rejected -USW due to its poor condition and it went to MMA in Western Australia.
VH-USE was the only DH86 in the Qantas fleet when its tail failed near Belmont, nine miles from Brisbane on February 2, 1942. Nine lives lost. When the RAAF returned impressed DH86s to Qantas their fins were strengthened before entering service. The loss of -USE added to the unease over the integrity of the DH86 airframe after earlier structural failures. Photo from: State Library of Queensland
When VH-USC arrived at Darwin in October 1934 work was proceeding at full speed to finish the new Qantas hangar in time for the Mildenhall-Melbourne air race later that month. VH-USC was sold to MMA in July 1938, then went to the RAAF in 1940 as A31-5. It returned to the register and Qantas in March 1942. Crashed Darwin October 9, 1944. Parap airport closed in 1946 when civil operations were transferred to the RAAF base. Hangar now a car museum in MacDonald Street. The runway became Ross Smith Avenue. Photo from: Hudson Fysh Collection/State Library of New South Wales
Ex G-ADEA. Registered in Australia as VH-UZX in July 1940 and impressed by the RAAF in December that year. Was intended to be used by the air observer school but instead converted to an air ambulance. Flown to Egypt for use in the North African and later Italian campaigns. Withdrawn from use at Heliopolis, Egypt in February 1944 and scrapped. Photo from: State Library of Victoria
The QEA DH.89 fleet was used to connect at Singapore with Imperial Airways flights from the UK. Empire flying boats replaced the DH.89s and Qantas sold -USD to MMA in Western Australia in July 1938. In January 1939 it was sold to Tata and Sons, India, as VT-AKZ. It would be impressed into the RAF as AX800. Soon after returning to civil operations it was struck off the Indian register. Photo from: Hudson Fysh Collection/State Library of New South Wales
Lost without trace in Bass Strait on October 19, 1934 with the loss of 11 lives including the founder of Holyman's Airways, Victor Holyman. A month later a chair washed up on a beach at Waratah Bay, Victoria.
VH-UUB became part of the ANA fleet at the end of 1936. Impressed into RAAF as A31-3 in 1940. In 1941 it was flown to Egypt to be used as an air ambulance. Destroyed at Heliopolis on April 19, 1942, when struck by a Beaufighter that had swung off the runway on takeoff.
"Miss Hobart" was the second DH-86 to be built, and one of only four to have a single-crew cockpit layout. Delivered by sea to Australia arriving in August 1934. Assembled at RAAF Laverton. Delivered to Holyman's at Launceston on 1st October. Operated on the Tasmania-Melbourne service from 3 October but disappeared over the Bass Straight on 19 October with no trace found of aircraft or the 12 persons on board. Obtained from ANA 50 years ago.
LAC's DH Express undergoing winter maintenance in their hangar amidst three of the airline's Rapides. Initially delivered to Jersey Airlines in late 1934, G-ACZP served LAC from April 1951 until sale in May 1957.