This F27 was the Dutch government and royal aircraft between 1960 and 1972. It has the Netherlands Royal Standard on the nose. Prince Bernhard often piloted it and had his four general's stars painted on the tailfin. Photo taken during a Dutch royal visit to Ethiopia. Photo by: Eric Koch / Nationaal Archief (Netherlands)
This ninth F-27 off the production line was delivered to Aer Lingus as EI-AKD "St Flannan" January 23, 1959. Returned to Fokker 7 years later, it would like many of the first F-27s, be used by many airlines; Lufttransport Unternehmen (LTU), Spantax and Aviaco among them before coming to Pilgrim Airlines in January 1982. The airline merged with Business Express in 1986 and the City of Manchester was withdrawn in 1990. It was subsequently used as a source for parts.
Engineers buzzing around the F27 prototype two weeks before its first flight which took place on 24 November 1955. It is fitted with a tail guard wheel. Photo by: Harry Pot / Nationaal Archief (Netherlands}