This P-47 was accepted by the USAAF in October 1944 and delivered to Godman Field, Kentucky. It was operated primarliy on the US East Coast as an aerial gunnery trainer before being retired fom service in early 1946. It is now on display in the National Air and Space Museum at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center.
Free French units flew P-47Ds late in WWII. Thunderbolts continued in service with the French air force, and fought in Algeria in the 1950s. This aircraft, US serial 44-20371, is seen in the WWII hall of the Musée de l'Air.
Although Yugoslavia developed its own Ikarus S-49 as an interim fighter-bomber prior to the arrival of jets, in addition 150 F-47Ds were obtained from 1952 (23 of them from France). They served 10 aviation regiments and the last operated until 1961. This example was formerly 44-90464 in USAAF service