The two powerful Eurojet EJ200 turbojets burn fiercely as this Typhoon from 12° Gruppo / 36° Stormo departs on a local mission after participating in the very last RAF Leuchars Battle of Britain at Home Day.
In full markings of the Reparto Volo della Seconda Regione Aerea (Second Aerial Region Flight Department) at Guidonia and in service there into the 1970s. The RR code stood for the Regione Roma. Restoration to this beautiful state took a full year.
In 1950, Macchi procured a construction license for the Fokker S.11. Meant as a basic trainer for the AMI, it was soon surpassed by higher performance aircraft. Most went on to aero clubs, this is the former I-AELY of Aeroclub Firenze. Type written as Ma.416 on the tail.
Fascinating piece of aerospace engineering powered by a motorjet, called thermojet by Campini. A piston engine drives a compressor in a ducted fan-setup (two stages displayed on a stand below the aircraft) and the airflow passes an afterburner, generating extra thrust. Flew as early as 1940 but fell short in performance. Sole surviving complete airframe of two built, the other fuselage is in Milan.
Night fighter version with radar nose and a crew of two that served with the Scuola Caccia Ogni Tempo (All-Weather Fighter School) at Amendola. Preserved in Torino since 1972 and taken on by the Museo Storico after the other museum was closed. Built under license by Aer Macchi as referenced on the tail, with additionally 'REV. 27-8-958' below the factory name.
Former ZE836 of the RAF, leased to Italy as one of 24 Tornado ADV's for ten years from late 1995. Handed over to the AMI at a ceremony in 2004 in order to be preserved here. On display since 2005 with the markings of its former unit.
Identity could use confirmation. Plate on the back says the construction number is '6741'. This was never allocated but could be a mix-up of the most likely ID, MM6714. In the museum since 2005 and one of seven F-104S' (partly) preserved or stored as '9-51', of which six in Italy.