Seen here on completion at the Percival factory at Luton Airport; First registered 1937; registered OO-ANC 1939; Requisitioned by the Belgian Government 19th September, 1939 during the "Drôle de Guerre" ("Phoney War"); destroyed at Beauvechain airfield on the 11th of May 1940 by the Luftwaffe. Permission & Copyright Keith Dillingham.
One of only two Super Electras briefly operated by KLM in Europe, Ekster (magpie) arrived in Rotterdam on 10 March 1938 and crashed near Schiphol during a training flight on 9 December 1938. The four crew were all killed. The accident investigation blamed the experienced instructor for turning off the starboard engine too soon after take-off, while the trainee had only one hour on the type. Photo from: Amsterdam City Archives
The P-16 was the first twin engine aircraft developed by Percival with a production of 26. Fitted with DH Gypsy Six engines and flown with 2 crew and 4 passengers. This aircraft was one of four fitted with a retractable undercarriage. Permission & Copyright Keith Dillingham.
Registered to a citizen of Amsterdam on 14 April 1936. In 1941 the aircraft was seized by the Germans, but a reasonable compensation of 5250 guilders, determined by a Dutch party, was paid in this phase of the occupation. It was flown off to Rangsdorf on 28 October 1941. Photo from: Amsterdam City Archives
VH-UVK set out for Australia as G-ABGK, Race No. 16, in the 1934 Mildenhall-Melbourne air race. Its race was over when its undercarriage collapsed on landing at Aleppo in Syria. The damaged aircraft was salvaged and shipped to Australia where it was repaired by Horrie Miller, of MacRobertson Miller Airlines fame. He operated -UVK until November 1941 when the RAAF impressed it as A42-1. The Vega survived the war but was scrapped at the orders of the Department of Civil Aviation. Photo from: National Library of Australia
Brisbane Flying School was established by Qantas in 1927. VH-UIC arrived on the register as G-AUIC in January 1929 but by the end of the year it had adopted the VH- prefix. It arrived in Brisbane in 1938 after a string if NSW-based owners. Crashed in 1939 and shipped south to Sydney for repairs. Soon after returning to the air, -UIC was impressed by the RAAF as A7-115. Became an instructional airframe. Photo from: State Library of Queensland
John Harrison photo of VH-UZK over Melbourne soon after delivery. In 1939 it was impressed by the RAAF as A30-2 for five months until other aircraft aircraft could be sourced overseas. -UZK was destroyed on November 8, 1948 when it flew into Mount Macedon. It had not long departed Melbourne for Deniliquin when the captain departed the approved track under IFR conditions.
The FK.50 eight-passenger airliner was ordered by the general manager of Alpar whom Frits Koolhoven had met in Davos in the spring of 1935. Three examples were built for this airline from Bern, this being the prototype. The second one, HB-AMO, soon crashed during blind-flying training but was replaced by the third, HB-AMA, an FK.50A with double tailfins. The type was well liked and operated Alpar's Bern-Paris-London service as late as 1946. HB-AMI was scrapped in 1947. The FK.50A even survived until 1962 when it crashed in Liberia as EL-ADV. Photo from: ETH-Bibliothek Zürich
22 (City of Sydney) Squadron Ansons based at RAAF Richmond. A4-6 was involved in a mid-air collision near Mallala, South Australia, on February 13, 1942. The crew of A4-6 and the other Anson, A4-31 (3rd from camera in this photo), were killed. No. 6 Service Flying Training School was operating both aircraft at the time. Photo from: State Library of Victoria
Small airliner designed to carry six to ten passengers. Clad with the Timm company's Aeromold, plastic-bonded plywood. Tricycle landing gear, wing slots and slotted flaps and ailerons for easy take-offs and landings. Wheel fairings not fitted at time of first flight in February 1938. No production. Photo by: Ralph Johnston / Glendale Public Library
In 1937 flown solo by Lores Bonney from Australia, where she lived, to South Africa, where she had been born. VH-UVE shipped back to Australia and destroyed in a hangar fire at Archerfield on June 28, 1939. Photo from: State Library of Queensland
This 12-passenger amphibian was owned by William K. Vanderbilt of New York City. George Vanderbilt had a Douglas Dolphin 12, and Harold Vanderbilt had a Lockheed 14-N. It is in dark blue and silver. I would say it was no coincidence that this was the special color scheme for Navy aircraft of that period used by an Admiral.
Battle 1 being prepared for delivery by Fairey employees in late November 1938. First served 63 Squadron at RAF Upwood, then 52 Squadron, crashing at Pewsey (Wilts) on 23 August 1940 whilst with No.12 Operational Training Unit. Ringways 1938-built terminal and hangar is in the background. Obtained from Faireys 60 years ago.
Newly-built Battle I light bomber at Fairey's factory at Manchester Ringway in December 1938 before delivery to No.63 Squadron at RAF Upwood. Later shipped to the Royal Canadian Air Force as No.2063 in August 1941. Obtained from Faireys 60 years ago.
KLM's Super Electra "Lepelaar" is operating the Schiphol-Doncaster-Ringway-Speke scheduled service on 12 August, shortly after delivery on 30 June 1938, replacing the usual DC-2. Sold to the first British Airways in August 1939 as G-AFYU and crashed off Malta on 21 December 1939.