"Clipper Westward Ho" was built as C-54G 45-0590 for the USAAF. Converted to DC-4 standard by Douglas in early 1947 and leased to Pan Am on 28 February 1947. Returned to the USAF in 1953 and operated until retirement and storage at Davis Monthan AFB. Seen over San Francisco in this Pan Am publicity photo.
Over Ottawa. This was the second Canadair C-4 and retains the unpressurised fuselage and circular windows of its Douglas DC-4/C-54 ancestor. It fitted with four Merlins. Served TCA from 11 November 1946 until transfer to the Royal Canadian Air Force as 17518 on 20 April 1949. Obtained from Canadair Ltd over 60 years ago.
One of six Beaufighters bought by Fairey Aviation for overhaul and resale. Fairey's working party has checked the engines and deleted the RAF serial before ferrying to Ringway. The a/c became G-AJMB/JMG and four were sold to Israel. G-AJMF remained in a hangar at Ringway until it was scrapped in August 1949.
Air France bought these three Rapides in Spring 1948 for use on local services based at Ivato, Madagascar. F-BEDY, ex G-ADAJ is nearest. F-BEDZ (6522) is at centre and F-BEDX (6547) is farthest away. Obtained from DH 60 years ago.
Four Halifax A.IX newly built by Handley Page, stored at Ringway, awaiting conversion to freight carrying and paratroop dropping roles for the RAF. Fairey Aviation carried out 65 such conversions at Ringway between July 1946 and August 1947.
Newly completed Barracuda TF.V wearing late wartime-style camouflage and fin flash. The taller pointed fin peculiar to this late Griffon-engined Barracuda variant is clearly visible. Earlier marks had the Merlin and a lower fin.
Delivered to USAAF as C-54E 44-9120 in May 1945. Converted to DC-4 standard by Douglas in late 1945 and delivered to TWA on 5 February 1946. Named "Arc de Triomphe". Seen at Gander during a trans-atlantic crossing. Destroyed by fire at La Guardia on 28 September 1948. From TWA 60 years ago.
The prototype Beagle 206 on a photo sortie from Shoreham for a publicity photograph shortly after its first flight on 15 August 1961. This aircraft has recently received a long-awaited refurbishment for static display. Obtained from Beagle Aircraft 50 years ago.