Served within USAF until 1978. Became N49548 and was delivered in October 1984 to Paris-le Bourget for conversion by UTA to Guppy 201 but conversion was not undertaken and the aircraft was loaned to Musee de l'Air. Finally given to a local air museum in Nancy, France. Unfortunately scrapped when the museum went bankrupt in 2004. Only tail is preserved at Zruc airpark in Czech Republic.
Parked at Albacete after its last--emergency--landing. Apparently, the engines have been worked on and the aircraft removed from the register as its serial has been removed. It is now in the Cuatro Vientos museum.
KC-97G tanker of Strategic Air Command displayed at the 1956 Armed Forces Day at RAF Burtonwood, Lancashire. This version did not have turbojet boosters. The red fin is in case of force landing in hostile arctic territory. Wears the SAC blue star-spangled sash on mid fuselage. Later converted to C-97G.