This Viggen was given this stunning paint scheme to mark the type's retirement from F10 Wing. The red colour signifies the 1st Division of F10, whilst the squadron's official motto is "THE SHOW MUST GO ON". The aircraft now resides at the Flygvapenmuseum.
The sole survivor of a small batch of S-1 trainers acquired by the Swedish AF in 1937 and designated P 1 by them. This example preserved at Malmen wears the markings of the F8 unit and served until retirement in late 1946.
The two-seat Venom night fighter first flew in 1950 and was supplied to the Royal Air Force as an interim type from 1953, but the Venom NF.2 and NF.2A had various issues and were replaced by the NF.3 mark in 1955, only a year before the Gloster Javelin entered service. Sweden ordered sixty NF.51s, similar to the NF.2 and NF.2A, with deliveries starting as early as December 1952 - complete with flying restrictions. They were replaced by the J32B Lansen by 1960.
Two modified Canberra B.2s were delivered to Sweden's F8 wing at Stockholm - Barkaby in 1960. This one was mainly a research platform but the other, like the Varsity on the right, was used for electronic intelligence work. Both Canberras also undertook missions to test the alertness of the Swedish air defences, popping up after extremely low flying over the Baltic.
First flown in 1920, the FVM Tummelisa (Thumbelina, the female counterpart of Tom Thumb) served in the Swedish air force as a single-seat trainer until 1935. The factory designation was E.1. In 1926 it was given the military designation Ö1 for an 'exercise aircraft' or advanced trainer. This airframe belonged to a second batch built in 1928 and made its last flight in 1962.
This is the last survivor of 28 Tummelisa advanced trainers built by the Centrala Flygverkstader Malmen (CFM) during the early 1920s. They served the Swedish AF between 1921 and retirement in 1935. This example was originally serial Fv656.
This nice exhibit in the Flygvapenmuseum was built in 1962 as a prototype for the civil BV-107-II model, N6679D. Also used as BV-347 Winged Chinook concept demonstor, fitted with four stub wings. Delivered to Sweden in 1970 as a BV-107-II-15 naval helicopter but retaining the civil model's square windows. Flown into storage at Malmen in 2007 and finally retired in 2010.
The Junkers Ju 86 was designated B3 in Sweden, and this is the sole surviving Ju 86. The type was designed as a bomber and airliner in competition with the Heinkel He 111, and first flew in 1934. In the German Luftwafffe it had largely been replaced as a bomber by the outbreak of WWII although it was developed into a high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft.