This Aéronautique Navale C-47 had been withdrawn from use by the mid 1980s, and was preserved at Nimes-Garons by 1986. It is seen here 23 years later, on display along the D42 road on the northwest side of the airbase in great early evening light. But it is no longer there. In early May 2010 the aircraft was dismantled and trucked off to Lorient airbase, where it arrived on May 6th. Following some restoration work and a repaint it had been placed on display at the base by September 2010.
Second Chad C-47 to carry this registration. The first was C-47B cn 26122/14677 and written off in the early 1980s. It was replaced by this C-47, obtained from France (ex French Navy No.10) in 1984, and given the same registration. It was withdrawn from use in 1991 and stored at N'Djamena, still present there by 2012. Note in the background the French Air Force C-160 Transall and 3 Mirage F1.
This C-47 saw a lot of the world starting with the 10th Army Air Force as 41-18689 flying out of India to China. Transferred to North Africa before the end of WWII, it was de-mobbed in Cairo in July 1945 and became TC-AKA with DHY (Devlet Hava Yollari) a year later. Next with General Mills, Inc in 1954, the aircraft came to Canada in 1970 as CF-NWU with Northwest Territorial Airways. Sold to Buffalo Airways in July 1991, it went to the USA as N62BA several months later. The registration was cancelled in 1994.
Painted as C-47 43-150877 of 95 Troop Carrier Squadron / 440 Troop Carrier Group. This Skytrain participated in the first wave to Normandy of 101 Airborne Division. These troops were dropped in the Carentan area on the 6th of June 1944. In fact N150D is ex USAAF 41-18401, French AF 118401 and Israeli AF 032/4X-FNX.
'Men load bags of crop dust onto an airplane for the US Department of Agriculture. In 1952 many farmers lost most of their alfalfa crops due to weevil.' Interesting photo, taken by a local photographer, of an early C-47 (no suffix), 41-38697, converted to top-loading crop duster. The first in a fleet of aircraft assigned a BEPQ (Bureau of Entomology and Plant Quarantine) number. Photo by: Leo Thorne / Uintah County Regional History Center
This C-47 served with the USAAF from Jul 1942 until transferred to the CAA/FAA in Oct 1945. Initially registered as NC5, then N5 and since 1973 as N99. In Jul 1977 it moved on to the US Forest Service as N101Z, but they never used it. The registration was cancelled in May 1982, and by 1989 it was stored at Palmer, AK in complete condition and still in full FAA markings with FAA logo. In the mid 1990s it was acquired by the Museum of Alaska Transportation and Industry (MATI) and moved to Wasilla, AK for display. Unfortunately its current condition leaves much to be desired.