Delivered in 1947, A80-1 was the first helicopter for the RAAF and the Australian military. Written off when it crashed into the Murray River on or about December 4, 1951. The RAAF didn't get into helicopters in a big way until the 1960s and the Vietnam War the arrival of UH-1 Iroquois. Went on to operate CH-47 Chinook, AS350 Squirrel and UH-60 Black Hawks. In 1989 all helicopters were transferred to the Army. Today civilian operators provide SAR at RAAF bases. Photo from: National Library of Australia
Assembled in Australia in 1946 from parts sent from the UK. Served initially with the Central Flying School and then 82 Bomber Wing. Switched to maritime reconnaissance in 1949 with 10 Squadron. In storage at East Sale from 1956 before being listed for disposal in 1959. Photo from: National Library of Australia
815th Troop Carrier Squadron was the Flying Jennies, a name that has carried through to its present designation as the 815th Airlift Squadron. 53-3144 was sold as N8512N. It led an exciting career as a grasshopper sprayer and then used for smuggling TV sets into Mexico. A minor accident brought that to an end. It was purchased in 1987 to become a commandos memorial at Hurlburt, Florida. It was mistaken for a drug smuggler on its flight to Hurlburt and pursued by law enforcement. Now displayed as an AC-119G.