An iconic photo of the citizens of Albury towing Uiver out of the mud, allowing the KLM DC-2 to take off and finish in second place in the London to Melbourne Air Race. Pilots Parmentier and Moll had managed a hairy emergency landing on the local racecourse, lit by the headlights of private car owners, during the night. Photo from: Tropenmuseum
This is the genuine PH-AJU Uiver. After winning the handicap section of the Mildenhall to Melbourne air race, the aircraft made several goodwill flights before departing back to Batavia (Jakarta). In 1934, Cootamundra was a hub for air mail services from Europe, which is why it was one of the towns to receive a visit. PH-AJU crashed in poor weather near Rutbah Wells, Iraq, on December 20, 1934.
This picture shows the original Douglas DC-2, PH-AJU, de "Uiver". An enormous crowd gathered at the airfield of Darmo, Surabaya. The plane made a stop over during its return flight from Australia to Holland after it participated in the Londen-Melbourne race.
This picture shows the original Douglas DC-2, PH-AJU, de "Uiver". An enormous crowd gathered at the airfield of Darmo, Surabaya. The plane made a stop over during its return flight from Australia to Holland after it participated in the Londen-Melbourne race. There are more than enough volunteers to push the DC-2 to its parking spot!
One of the countless stops on KLM's intercontinental Holland - Java route, to refuel with BOC petrol. In addition to the mail, only a few affluent passengers were carried. Swiss geologist Arnold Heim was one of them. Photo by: Arnold Heim / ETH-Bibliothek Zürich
The largest Fokker aircraft ever in terms of wing area, the F.XXXVI (F.36) could accomodate four crew and 32 passengers, or 16 with pairs of seats converted to couches. Still of mixed construction with man-sized non-retractable mainwheels, it was not ordered in quantity by KLM president Albert Plesman who turned to the Douglas DC-2 for the Holland-Java route. The sole F.36, Arend (eagle) was used on the European network. Sold to Scottish Aviation in 1939 as G-AFZR, it crashed at Prestwick on 21 May 1940. Photo from: Nederlands Instituut voor Militaire Historie
Schiphol in 1935, view towards the north. Although still muddy, the airfield is becoming a tourist attraction. Beyond the terrace is a Fokker D.XVI fighter. An old KLM F.VIIa is also seen. The DC-2 is named Koetilang, Malay for bulbul bird, reflecting the importance of the East Indies to KLM and to Dutch society in general. Aircraft destroyed by bombing here on 10 May 1940. Photo from: Amsterdam City Archives
Scaled down from the big F.XXXVI (F.36), the 22-passenger F.XXII was the last airliner produced by the Fokker company before WWII. It was still of mixed construction with fixed landing gear and only four examples were built. Roerdomp (bittern) became G-AFXR and HM159 as a navigation trainer in the RAF. By 1943 it was used in a transport role by No 1680 Flight. It crashed into Loch Tarbert on 3 July 1943 killing all 20 people on board. Photo from: Amsterdam City Archives
The sole FK.48 was the last airliner built for KLM by the artisanal Koolhoven company, using a surplus FK.40 wing which was literally sawn in halves, interlinked in a gull shape and supported by four struts. Nicknamed 'Ajax', PH-AJX could carry six passengers in KLM service and was mainly used on the Amsterdam-Eindhoven route until it was relegated to sightseeing, air taxi and training duties. Photo from: Ruud van Ommeren collection
KLM's Super Electra "Lepelaar" is operating the Schiphol-Doncaster-Ringway-Speke scheduled service on 12 August, shortly after delivery on 30 June 1938, replacing the usual DC-2. Sold to the first British Airways in August 1939 as G-AFYU and crashed off Malta on 21 December 1939.
One of only two Super Electras briefly operated by KLM in Europe, Ekster (magpie) arrived in Rotterdam on 10 March 1938 and crashed near Schiphol during a training flight on 9 December 1938. The four crew were all killed. The accident investigation blamed the experienced instructor for turning off the starboard engine too soon after take-off, while the trainee had only one hour on the type. Photo from: Amsterdam City Archives
KLMs Douglas DC-2 "Haan" operating the schedule from Schiphol via Doncaster (request stop) and on to Liverpool's Speke airport for the night. Taken in July 1938 from the rooftop observation balcony on the newly opened terminal. To SE-AKE of ABA and DC-1 and DO-1 of the Finnish AF.
Feathering test. Aircraft entered in the Dutch register on 18 March 1938. Unloaded in Rotterdam on 18 April. Assembled by Fokker. Delivered to KLM on 25 April. Crashed near Schiphol on 14 November 1938 on a flight from Berlin - Tempelhof. Two of the fourteen passengers and four of the five crew were killed. The modern spelling of the aircraft name, meaning kingfisher, would be IJsvogel. Photo from: Amsterdam City Archives
"Roek" was assembled by Fokker in March 1939. It is making the type's first visit to Ringway on the Schiphol schedule. It was captured by German forces on 16 May 1940 and served with the Luftwaffe and Lufthansa before crashing at Madrid on 9 December 1942. Note the right hand door.
Rare glimpse of this KLM DC-3, a few months old at this time and destroyed by German bombs here on 10 May 1940. The airport sightseeing bus is on the left. Detail of photo 123841 with Fokker G.I fighters in the foreground. Photo from: Bodo Sandberg collection
KLM's DC-3 PH-ARB "Buizerd" escaped from Schiphol during the Nazi invasion of Holland in early May 1940. It was camouflaged and re-registered G-AGBD and flown by Dutch and BOAC crews on runs to neutral Lisbon and Shannon. Returned to KLM postwar as PH-TBD. To Skyways as G-AGBD in August 1946. From KLM 60 years ago.
The first Amsterdam to Zürich service after WWII. The camouflaged aircraft has the KLM logo on the rudder. It was added to the KLM fleet in exile in Bristol, operated on behalf of BOAC, in 1944. Military serials 42-92378 and FZ617. To 'PH-AZT' and G-AGJT May 1944. To PH-TBA on 18 January 1946, three days before this picture was taken. Later OO-TBA, PH-TFB, N94530 and N3BA. Photo from: ETH-Bibliothek Zürich