White-tailed Philippine Mars seen floating peacefully on Sproat Lake near its Port Alberni base, in the last days of its very long career (60 years!). It would be permanently withdrawn from use at the end of the 2006 fire season.
This C-47 served with the USAAF from Jul 1942 until transferred to the CAA/FAA in Oct 1945. Initially registered as NC5, then N5 and since 1973 as N99. In Jul 1977 it moved on to the US Forest Service as N101Z, but they never used it. The registration was cancelled in May 1982, and by 1989 it was stored at Palmer, AK in complete condition and still in full FAA markings with FAA logo. In the mid 1990s it was acquired by the Museum of Alaska Transportation and Industry (MATI) and moved to Wasilla, AK for display. Unfortunately its current condition leaves much to be desired.
Delivered to the USAF as 55-4558 and converted to C-123J with Fairchild J44 booster engines on the wing tips, for operation in the arctics. To the CAA/FAA in May 1957 as N123, reregd to N98 in 1973. Withdrawn from use in 1983, and donated to the Alaska Historical and Transportation Museum near Palmer, AK in the mid 1980s. Officially registered as N3144W, but never painted as such. In 1992 the museum became the Museum of Alaska Transportation and Industry (MATI) and moved to its current location at Wasilla Airport, taking this C-123 with them. It still has its C-123J wing tip booster engines.