At the Errwood Park Works in Stockport, Cheshire. Fairey Aviation completed 661 Halifaxes at Stockport and Ringway during World War Two. Orders for another 388 were cancelled. Forward fuselages for several B.III's are seen in initial assembly and a rear fuselage is on a lorry in the right background. Image obtained from Faireys many years ago.
Fairey Aviation built 150 Halifax B.V's at their Errwood Park Works at Stockport. A newly completed example for the RAF has been loaded on a convoy of seven lorries and will depart for Manchester (Ringway) Airport when the lads and lassies of the day shift have gone home. Obtained from Fairey's sixty years ago.
Some of the 1,165 Battle light bombers which were built at Fairey's Stockport factory between June 1937 and November 1940. They were taken in sections to Ringway for final assembly and air testing. From Fairey Aviation 60 years ago.
The first production Hendon bomber powered by two RR Kestrel VI engines under assembly in Fairey's factory. The prototype K1695 is far right. K5085 first flew from Manchester Barton on 2 September 1936. 14 were built, serving 38 Squadron until replacement by Wellingtons in late 1938. Obtained from Fairey's over 50 years ago.
Some of the 400-odd DH-9's built by the National Aircraft Factory No.2 at Heaton Chapel, Stockport in 1918/19. D1389 is centre with painted fin. F357, a NAF No.2-built DH-10 twin engined bomber is upper centre right. From Manchester Airport Archive.
The Barracuda production line at Fairey Aviation's Stockport, Cheshire, factory in early 1943. P9730 is front left and has its Merlin engine fitted. It will be roaded the six miles to Manchester (Ringway) Airport for final assembly and flight testing. Delivered in March 1943, it served with 810 Squadron Fleet Air Arm aboard HMS Illustrious. From Fairey's 60 years ago.