This Il-18 flew with the original flag-carrier of the DDR from April 1960 and subsequently with Interflug from September 1963. It was then given the new-prefix DDR- reg. in July 1981 until cancellation in September 1988. The frame is now preserved close to the a passenger terminal at LEJ with a grey underbelly finish, rather than the original natural metal (necessary for long-term outdoor protection).
Both Germanies claimed the Lufthansa name and crane until 1963, when the GDR airline was renamed Interflug. This Il-14 was built by VEB Flugzeugwerke Dresden in 1957. She was written off after a hard landing in Leipzig - Mockau (not in Moscow) on 17 November 1967.
It was delightful to have the opportunity to shoot this superbly preserved VEB-built IL-14 in such nice conditions, well worth the 130km drive from Berlin. Once displayed in Interflug colours at the Halle ice stadium after being written off in a hard landing, it became derelict and was on the verge of being scrapped before being rescued by the Technik-Museum Hugo Junkers and restored in the colours of East Germany's Deutsche Lufthansa, the forerunner of Interflug