Ordered by American Airlines but delivered to the USAAF, VH-ANH ended up in Australia with the Allied Directorate of Air Transport. The USAAF, RAAF and Guinea Airways flew it with the callsign VHCDJ. Guinea Airways bought it postwar but was soon transferred to ANA. When Ansett took over ANA -ANH was passed between the various airlines in the group until withdrawn from use in 1970. Now part of the Australian National Aviation Museum, Moorabbin. Photo from: Libraries Tasmania
Originally delivered to Eastern Air LInes in 1939, this DC-3 is here with Crystal Shamrock of Minneapolis in a two-tone green scheme. In 1983 it was acquired by the Canadian Warplane Heritage where it is registered C-GDAK masquerading as RCAF Dakota KN456.
Sold in New Zealand as ZK-BKD in 1955. Seen here with Wright R-1820 engines. It had been built as a C-47A with Pratt and Whitney R-1830s and for most of its time with ANA retained those engines. But ANA preferred Wrights and -ANU may have been the last of its war surplus C-47s to be converted. When it arrived in New Zealand, R-1830s were reinstalled. Photo from: Civil Aviation Historical Society, Melbourne, Australia
Mangalore, remote from residential areas, served as a training airport for Ansett and TAA in the age of propliners and a place to divert when Melbourne-Essendon was closed. It later became the venue for Australia's Oshkosh, an annual Easter gathering of warbirds, sports and vintage aircraft. That has long gone and today YMNG is best known for its helicopter operations and flight training