This Storch was acquired by the National Museum of the USAF in 1974 from private donors and is on display as the Storch used by Field Marshal Erwin Rommel in North Africa. The starbord side carries a blue Edelweiss emblem on the nose, whereas the port side has this stylised swastika palm tree. Ex N156SV (still visble on the tailfin), D-EBOY and RSwAF 3808.
The Germans made some extremely innovative and ground-breaking aeroplanes during WWII. The superfast designs have certainly deserved a lot of the limelight and whilst the superslow and nimble Storch doesn't have the glamour of the Schwalbe it fully deserves a place in the German aviation roll of honour!
This Storch was built in 1940 and exported to Sweden where it remained in service with the Flygvapnet as 3808 until 1948. It became D-EBOY in 1965, then N156SV in 1973, and was acquired by the National Museum of the USAF in 1974 from private donors. It is on display as the Storch used by Field Marshal Erwin Rommel in North Africa.