Marshall's DC-2 VH-CDZ and Short Scion VH-UUP in the background. Neither of these were registered at the time. -AQU remained in use until about 1966 and was finally cancelled in 1970. After the death of Sid Marshall it was sold and restored. Currently in the UK as G-ECAN. The other two have been subject to unfinished restoration projects, -UUP more recently in the UK.
VH-ASM in Sid Marshall's compound on the edge of Bankstown airport. Marshall had a sentimental attachment to the aircraft because its registration were his initials. After the Anson was cancelled, he used -ASM on his Lockheed 10. The barbed-wire protected compound contained several dismantled aircraft removed from Bankstown airport. Access was rarely granted. -ASM was East-West Airlines' first aircraft and was bought by the airline for restoration as an exhibit. Displayed at Tamworth airport.
VH-ASM languished at Bankstown after all Ansons were grounded and was later being stored in Marshall's compound on the edge of the airport. It had been East-West Airlines' first aircraft and was acquired by the airline in 1972. -ASM is now displayed at Tamworth where East-West was based.
VH-UQB has the extra strut fitted to Australian Puss Moths. It was ordered in 1942 after several incidents of wings failing, notably costing the life of famous Australian aviator Bert Hinkler. No other country ordered the modification. -UQB resides at the National Museum of Flight in Scotland.
VH-EOI was rebuilt by Marshall Airways from VH-WRH, which had been withdrawn from use in 1965. It was registered in 1968 and used for joy flights from Bankstown, usually with Ron Gower at the controls. Gower had been a pilot since the 1930s.
VH-CDZ was grounded after a minor landing accident at Bankstown in 1957. For several years it sat next to Marshall's hangar (out of sight to the left of this photo) until the area was needed for a car park. It was then towed to the middle of the airport and the Marshall Airways titles removed. After Sid Marshall died, the DC-2 was sold to an American Airlines pilot but an export permit was refused. It has since been intermittently under restoration in Australia but its current state is not known. Photo by the late Bob Kensett.
Delivered to Ansett in July 1937 as VH-UZO, serving them until January 1951. Marshall Airways as VH-ASM from December 1962. Restored to flying condition and first flew again as VH-UZO on 6 September 1991.
Built as a seaplane in October 1934 as G-ACUX. To Papua New Guinea in March 1938 as VH-UUP. Withdrawn frrom use as a landplane in late 1947 and preserved in the crowded roof space of Marshall's hangar at Bankstown. Currently (2015) inaccessible to the public in deep storage in a Belfast Museum.
Built at Woodford Cheshire by A.V. Roe in 1937 for the Royal Australian Air Force as a training aircraft A6-17. Sold postwar and owned by Marshalls until retirement. Seen here in 1970 stored in Sid Marshall's delightfully cluttered hangar at Bankstown.
VH-ASM had been withdrawn from use due to corrosion when this picture was taken. It was eventually subjected to an expensive rebuild from which it emerged in its original pre-war colours and registration (VH-UZO).