Ordered as a DC-3-455 for Eastern but delivered to the USAAF as C-49K 43-2013 in January 1943. Disposed in 1945. Converted to DC-3A and served with Delta as NC15748, later N15748. After a crash in private ownership in 1979 this aircraft was eventually donated to the Museum of Flight in poor condition in Aug 1987. Cosmetically restored and placed on display as "NC91008" (c/n 25422) of Alaska Airlines, but removed from display in 1997 and dumped. Trucked to Aerometal at Aurora, OR in June 2016. Note: this airframe is often incorrectly associated with NC17885, but that was c/n 9064.
The Nie 27 was almost identical to the Nie 24. This replica was built in 1980 and has a steel tube rather than the authentic wooden fuselage, and a 165-hp Gnome engine. It carries the markings of No 1 Sqn, Royal Flying Corps, which continued to fly Nie 17s and Nie 27s until January 1918.
The nimble Nieuport fighters were outgunned by heavier machines towards the end of WWI, and the later models were increasingly used as advanced trainers. French wooden-legged ace Paul Tarascon flew a Nie 24bis named Zigomar 5 for some time, but he too converted to the SPAD S.VII. This replica was flown in 1995 and has an original Le Rhône engine.
First flown in 1926, the Parasol kit aircraft was technically and commercially succesful. Edward Heath's company sold 50 assembled aircraft and nearly 1000 kits, several hundred of which were finished and flown by homebuilders. A 25-hp Henderson B-4 modified motorcycle engine was the standard powerplant. The Museum of Flight completed its original kit in 2008.
Flown in 1914, the Ca 20 was armed with a machine gun placed above the pilot and the propeller disc, and it does look like a harbinger of the fighter aircraft. Only this prototype was built, however. The Ca 20 was largely forgotten, although it was shown at an exposition in Rome in 1936.
First flown after designer Bill Lear's death, on 1 January 1981, the Lear Fan was made largely of composites and powered by two PT6 engines driving a single pusher propeller. Perhaps not surprisingly it never entered production.
Designed by Julius Berg and produced by the Austrian branch of the German Aviatik company, the D.I fighter was one of the better Austrian aircraft of WWI, although pilots preferred the Albatros D.III. Some 700 examples were built in 1917 and 1918. The Austro-Daimler engine was prone to overheating despite the impressively large radiator filler cap - it almost looks like a crafted mascot!
The D.1 was the first Austrian designed fighter to be built and this rare original was produced by Thoene & Viala in Vienna. It is now on display at the Personal Courage wing at the wonderful Museum of Flight.
The Museum of Flight is not all about Boeing, and its WWI section is surprisingly good. This is a formerly airworthy replica of the Fokker Eindecker (monoplane), the winged machine gun, the first fighter to rule the skies in 1915.
Based on the Schweizer SGS 2-32 glider, the Lockheed QT-2 and YO-3 were designed for silent nocturnal observation missions. Eleven YO-3As were built but, although nine were deployed to Vietnam with some reported success in 1970, no further production followed.