During WWI, expatriot Czechs, the Czechoslovak Legions, fought with the Allies in France, Italy and Russia in exchange for support for the independence of Czechoslovakia from the Austrian Empire. Those in Russia also ended up fighting the Bolseviks and so did not return to their homeland until 1920, bringing four of these LWF (Lowe, Willard & Fowler Engineering Company) Tractors with them. This original is the only survivor of the approx. 140 built and is on display at the Národní technické muzeum in Prague.
Though almost 5,000 of this type were built, this is one of only two surviving original Yak-3, the other being in the Commemorative Airforce Museum at Camarillo, Ca. Powered by a 1.222 hp Klimov engine this aircraft served in a French Regiment, 'Normandie-Niemen' on the Eastern front and was given by Stalin to its French Pilot in May 1945.