Nearest in a line-up of nine Southern Airways Martin 404's. Taken just before the departure of the morning wave of Southern's flights to points in the southeastern States. A vintage Shell tanker is in the foreground.
Delivered new to Eastern as N448A in January 1952. Sold to Mohawk as N468M in October 1961. Later to Ozark and Piedmont. Operated by the Sportsman Travel Club for a short period in the 1970s and then stored. Broken up in October 1978.
"Tennessee Valley Pacemaker" served Piedmont Airlines based at Winston-Salem from February 1962 until retirement in January 1970. Here shown in storage at FLL with titles deleted but color scheme intact.
This Martin 404 was delivered new to Eastern Airlines as N499A in February 1953, serving until December 1962. After serving Southern Airways as N581S it flew for Marco Island from February 1978 until February 1987.
One of six Martin 404's stored at PBA's base in Florida, soaking up the spring sunshine. A few months later this Martin was ferried to Mississippi, where it survives in poor condition, tucked away in a wooded area at Gulfport-Biloxi airport. It was still there in February 2017.
This ex TWA and Piedmont aircraft served with PBA between 1975 and 1985. It is seen here while stored at PBA's home base, shortly before being ferried to Mississippi for continued storage, together with four other PBA Martin 404s. That's where it would finally meet its doom: it was broken up there in 2002.
During the mid 1980s Marco Airways (formerly Marco Island Airways) was taken over by PBA. Their Martin 404s ended up at PBA's base at Naples, but sadly they never entered service with their new owner. This particular example was scrapped here in 1993-1994.
N40407 , withdrawn from use, but looking a lot better than PBA Cessna 402 N68PB next to it. A few months later this aircraft was ferried to Gulfport-Biloxi, MS and later to Bay St. Louis-Stennis, MS for continued storage. Unfortunately it was dismantled there in 2002, and its cockpit section went to Chino, CA for display in the Yanks Air Museum.