KLM's inaugural post-war scheduled service from Amsterdam to Manchester, after the break caused by World War Two. The crew and officials stand by as passengers disembark from PH-TBP which flew for the airline from January 1946 until April 1952.
KLM served Leeuwarden, the capital of Friesland province, in 1938-39 and from 1946-49. On 27 December 1947, captain Robinson and pilot Kroon aborted their landing here due to fog but hit the spire of a church which took off 3.5 metres (11 feet) of the left wing. An emergency landing was made near Boksum, then spelled Boxum. The aircraft, formerly 42-92501 and KG314, was written off. Photo by: Harry Sagers / Nationaal Archief (Netherlands)
Taken shortly after delivery to KLM and before application of the name "Albert Cuyp" - after the painter. "De Vliegende Hollander" titles on starboard side - English version on the port side. From KLM 60 years ago.
KLM's C-47A arrives on KL151 from Dublin (Collinstown). It will pick up pax for Schiphol and depart at 1010 hours. PH-TBP served KLM in Europe between January 1946 and April 1952. It was then transferred to their West Indies division as PJ-ALT.
"Edam" was a postwar-built DC-4, delivered to KLM on 6 July 1946. It is visiting Ringway on a charter flight exchanging the Halle Orchestra for the Amsterdamgebouw. Reregistered PH-DBE on 7 May 1954 and sold to Olympic as SX-DAG on 8 July 1958.
"Jan van Goyen" is operating the AMS-MAN-DUB schedule. KLM's CV240s were the first pressurised airliners to serve Ringway from Spring 1949, despite a runway only 4200 ft in length. Re-registered PH-CEG in April 1954 and sold in January 1960.
"Adriaan van Ostade" arrives from Dublin on the through schedule to Schiphol. Visible is the 1938-built Chance Brothers octagonal floodlight, one of three in use until early wartime. The three sides facing the grass landing area were clear glazed. Two of the floodlights would be illuminated for night landings. They were dismantled in the early 1950s.
"Gerard Terborch" served KLM from November 1948 until sale in December 1957. It is operating the Schiphol-Ringway-Dublin (Collinstown) and return scheduled service and is parked in front of the 1940-built Hangar No.6.
"Paulus Potter" served KLM from January 1949 until crashing at Schiphol on 25 May 1953. Seen here being loaded with freight on the morning run through Ringway to Dublin. "De Vliegende Hollander" titles are visible. Note the CV240s circular engine exhausts. Two Meteor T7s and two Harvards of 613 Squadron are visible in their hangar.
"Pieter de Hoogh" served KLM from December 1948 until December 1953. It is arriving at Ringway on KL151 from Schiphol and will carry on to Dublin before returning. Sold to Swissair as HB-IRZ and later Mohawk as N1014C. Broken up in 1975.
"Jan Huyghen van Linschoten" was the first DC-6B to visit Ringway when a heavy pax load on the AMS-MAN-DUB service required replacement of the usual Convair 240. The aircraft served KLM from 5 June 1952 until 26 June 1962 when it was sold to Adria as YU-AFE.
Wearing race number 21 on rear fuselage. Carrying a group of Immigrants, this aircraft won the transport section of the London to Christchurch Air Race. On display in the unfinished airport central area. Served KLM from new in July 1953 until sale in May 1960.